🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

If my shoulders were uninjured this would be a single set.
What I love about you is that that's just a statement of fact rather than a brag. And I fully agree that a physical challenge that allows for adaptations so people don't ruin themselves is SO MUCH better than the usual.

What I love about you is that that's just a statement of fact rather than a brag. And I fully agree that a physical challenge that allows for adaptations so people don't ruin themselves is SO MUCH better than the usual.
A challenge that is supposed to bring attention to mental health would be a big fail if it caused mental anguish in people for not being able to complete the challenge due to a physical or other impediment, the aim is to push yourself not to compete with everybody else.

I also like that the number each day relates to something about mental health making it a learning experience. Fundraising is optional, for many just being able to participate can help with their own mental health. I have been participating each year since 2019 and I see the format of the challenge has expanded to Canada.

My son D is also participating as part of his Karate club team and I have seen people doing push-ups in the local park where you don't normally see them.

I still want to find room in my budget to purchase this years T-Shirt but until then I am happy to wear the ones from past years.

One of our nieces who has had her own issues with mental health is doing the challenge & I will support her. Money is a bit tight with us this year. It's a great cause. Good for you, Tru.

Mixed up my reps today between push-ups and squat,

1717724687022.png

Today’s target is 123 push-ups, to recognise the 123+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages spoken today. Keeping this intact will promote First Nations people’s connection to culture and social and emotional wellbeing.

This hits hard after the failed Voice referendum we had here in Australia recently, it is depressing when you think about how racist our country can be.

Just thought I would add, our mandarin tree finally has fruit, little miss is looking forward to having them in her school lunch box. her school being in a farm community in addition to the school animals, grow vegetables which are used in cooking class and provide the excess food to community members in need.

I have to get the ladder from the shed so the fruit can be picked.

Wow, 123 languages - I had no idea there was that much diversity in the native Australian population. Are there many places where you can go and learn about their cultures? That's awesome your mandarine tree is so big you have to get a ladder to pick the fruit! Good luck with the 123 push ups - phew!!!!

in a 5 litre we use 1-1.5 kg of local honey, 1/2 packet mead yeast and whatever we are using as added flavour, I really liked the lime mead we made and without going and looking at our notes from the batch from memory we used about a cup of fresh squeezed local limes (son is the brewer at a local lime farm and brewery). the 20 litres of passionfruit mead used the pulp from a full packing box of fruit we got free from a local farm.

Using 1 kg of blood plums produces a lovely blood mead.

I also prefer a sparkling mead to a dry but that outcome depends on how much honey you use and how long you let if ferment for. The short fermentation time of a sparkling session mead has around 6-8% alcohol so not much more alcoholic than a beer.

To speed up clearing we use bentonite and cold crash to stop fermentation so we are not adding sulphites or fish so it can be shared with friends with allergies.
Bentonite is a type of clay.

I was drinking the dry passionfruit mead last night and at 19% alcohol it has quite a kick to it.

We don't back sweeten because we don't chemically stop the fermentation, we either cold crash and keep refrigerated for the sparkling or have a dry mead we don't need to keep cold.
Thanks, you are a much more accomplished wine maker than I. It sounds like your mead is a kind of fruit wine with honey as the added sugar. I think I will give that a try. I like the sound of the lime mead.

In recent years I have only made peach wine, with our peaches. I either squeeze the juice to ferment, or just ferment the mash. I don't add water, all the liquid is peach juice. I do add sugar, peaches don't have enough sugar to make wine with more than about 7% alcohol. I will have to try bentonite, my peach wine is not real clear. We made about 70 liters of wine last fall, and 8 or 10 liters of very strong peach brandy.
Today’s target is 123 push-ups, to recognise the 123+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages spoken today. Keeping this intact will promote First Nations people’s connection to culture and social and emotional wellbeing.
Impressive (both the languages and the push-ups) I had no idea, Native Americans originally spoke many different languages, but very few have survived. Most died out long ago. I think preserving languages is a good thing. However doing 123 push-ups would take me a month or so... Would sit-ups work?

Thanks, you are a much more accomplished wine maker than I. It sounds like your mead is a kind of fruit wine with honey as the added sugar. I think I will give that a try. I like the sound of the lime mead.

In recent years I have only made peach wine, with our peaches. I either squeeze the juice to ferment, or just ferment the mash. I don't add water, all the liquid is peach juice. I do add sugar, peaches don't have enough sugar to make wine with more than about 7% alcohol. I will have to try bentonite, my peach wine is not real clear. We made about 70 liters of wine last fall, and 8 or 10 liters of very strong peach brandy.

Impressive (both the languages and the push-ups) I had no idea, Native Americans originally spoke many different languages, but very few have survived. Most died out long ago. I think preserving languages is a good thing. However doing 123 push-ups would take me a month or so... Would sit-ups work?

The challenge allows for exercise substitution and actually encourages it because for a lot of people the quantity of push-ups combined with being every day can be harmful if your fitness levels are not up to the physical load.
Wow, 123 languages - I had no idea there was that much diversity in the native Australian population. Are there many places where you can go and learn about their cultures? That's awesome your mandarine tree is so big you have to get a ladder to pick the fruit! Good luck with the 123 push ups - phew!!!!
There are places around where you can learn but I only know the meaning of some town names where I have lived. I grew up in Bega which in the language of the Yuin-Monaro Nations means ‘big camping ground’ or ‘beautiful’

Wolvi where my daughters school is located

a young kangaroo almost weaned
The locality name Wolvi is derived from the Aboriginal word (Kabi language, Dulingbara dialect), wolvai or wollai, meaning a young kangaroo almost weaned.

There are places around where you can learn but I only know the meaning of some town names where I have lived. I grew up in Bega which in the language of the Yuin-Monaro Nations means ‘big camping ground’ or ‘beautiful’

Wolvi where my daughters school is located

a young kangaroo almost weaned
The locality name Wolvi is derived from the Aboriginal word (Kabi language, Dulingbara dialect), wolvai or wollai, meaning a young kangaroo almost weaned.
Thanks, you taught me something.

After reading your posts I looked it up and found we still have more Native American spoken languages than I knew:

Today, approximately 167 indigenous languages are spoken in the US, and it’s estimated that only 20 of these languages will remain by 2050. Navajo is the most spoken Native American language, with 170,000 speakers. Even with this number, the Navajo language doesn’t make it into the top 25 languages spoken in the US. The majority of Native Americans today only speak English. https://ititranslates.com/blog/a-br...digenous languages,languages spoken in the US.

We have lots of place names that derive from Native American, Utah for example from the Ute Indians. I looked it up and some Ute dialects are still spoken by a few people, but Ute is one of the fast disappearing ones. Navajo is heard from time to time, in southern Utah we have a Navajo radio station. Thanks to the fame of the code talkers, and the cohesive Navajo Nation we will probably have Navajo for a long time. I looked into it and Navajo is one of the most difficult languages to learn, very few non Natives have learned it, despite trying. Yá'át'ééh is the only word I know https://navajowotd.com/word/ya-at-eeh-diiji-yeego-hozho-dooleel/ .

Florida has many Native American place names, but none of the aboriginal Florida Indian tribes still exist. The Seminoles and other current Florida Indians are migrants from other areas, most driven out of the Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama by the English and then Americans. They escaped to the then Spanish Florida. The word Seminole means "runaway" in Creek https://dos.fl.gov/florida-facts/florida-history/seminole-history/

Thanks Tru, I really love hearing about native cultures. We're a little bit Native American and I've always loved learning about the local tribes. That's great that a rigorous challenge like that has modifications so everyone can join in. Such a nice sentiment and good for spreading the message.

I grew up in Bega which in the language of the Yuin-Monaro Nations means ‘big camping ground’ or ‘beautiful’
I was brought up in a little town on the Murray River, between Albury & Yarrawonga & we spent many holidays at Tathra. I loved that area!

It is a planned challenge rest day. just another thing that makes this challenge a little different, rest days are important.

I have a Uni exam on Tuesday, then a practical exam the following Tuesday and my exam for my advanced exercise physiology on the Thursday. The one that bothers me is the practical, I have struggled with this professor and anything filmed puts me in panic mode.

:grouphug: Best of luck. Slow breaths. You are genuinely good at what you do and the camera is just a little computer with a bit of glass tacked on. Is the professor difficult on a personal level or a professional one?

You are very good at what you do, Tru. I understand nerves though. Can you imagine you're talking to someone else on camera, like one of your sons?

Yikes. And the average is already way too high. When I see how many of my patients just get destroyed by jobs that would be perfectly doable if they only had one or two more colleagues... It's awful.

Back