Matt's Diary

Hi, Matt. I read your diary every day but feel like saying the same thing all the time. I would love to see you eating less processed food & more home-prepared. I will put one recipe in your diary each week until the end of April, starting tomorrow. I'll start with the soup recipe I promised you before, xo Cate

Year 1, Day 175 (Day 544)

Goals 1-7: ACHIEVED! Ongoing goal: Weight Maintenance...

Weight: 178.4

Breakfast: 2 Yogurts, 2 Poached Eggs, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 2 pieces of Toast, 2 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Yogurt, 1 Apple, 1 cup of Salad, 1 Ham/Pepperoni/Salami w/Cheese Sandwich

Snack: A few Crackers, 2 Yogurts.

Dinner: 1 6 oz. Center Cut Sirloin, 1 side of Mashed Potatoes, 1 side of Mixed Veggies, a few pieces of bread all from Outback Steakhouse.

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 5 glasses of Water, 3 Rum and Diet Cokes.

Estimated Calories: 2810

Exercise: 3.33 Hours of Walking.

I went to a speed dating event it was okay since I hadn't had dinner I decided to stop by Outback since I haven't been there in a while.I think I did pretty good though I should have skipped the bread.

Hi, Matt. I read your diary every day but feel like saying the same thing all the time. I would love to see you eating less processed food & more home-prepared. I will put one recipe in your diary each week until the end of April, starting tomorrow. I'll start with the soup recipe I promised you before, xo Cate

Well I like to think I'm doing better I think I had only one TV dinner for the week, though I did eat out last night. I look forward to your recipes!

3124154.jpg

You're doing well Matt. I'm sorry! Recipes to come. I'm not feeling great at the moment xo

Year 1, Day 176 (Day 545)

Weight: 178.4

Breakfast: 2 Yogurts, 2 Poached Eggs, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 2 pieces of Toast, 2 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Turkey Bravo sandwich, 1 small bag of Potato Chips all from Panera Bread.

Snack: 4 Yogurts.

Dinner: 2 pieces of BBQ Chicken, 1 side of Mashed Potatoes.

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 4 glasses of Water, 4 Rum and Diet Cokes.

Estimated Calories: 2940

Exercise: 3.5 Hours of Walking.

I think I annoyed myself xo
1st recipe- Chicken & veg soup.
Cut up Chicken thighs, onions, carrots, celery, garlic if you want, dried beans (or soup mix or rice or pasta), add lots of water and a stock cube or 2 (or ready made stock).
Cook for at least 1 hour, taste for seasoning. Add salt & pepper as required.
Add any other veg that you fancy(kale, zucchini, fresh mushrooms, snow peas, ), & cook for a further 15 mins.
After typing in your diary yesterday I went & made a Vietnamese soup (the stock part anyway) & now have 6 large containers. I'll give you my recipe for that too if you like. Cheers, Cate.

Year 1, Day 177 (Day 546)

Weight: 177.0

Breakfast: 6 doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, 4 Yogurts.

Lunch: 1 Dave Double Burger, 1 side of French Fries, 1 Dr. Pepper all from Wendy's.

Snack: 1/2 Pint of Halo Top Ice Cream.

Dinner: 1 bowl of Chef Salad, Baked Spaghetti, 1 slice of Cake, 1 bottle of Cherry Coke.

Miscellaneous: 2 Bottled Waters.

Estimated Calories: 5000

Exercise: 4 Hours of Walking.

I think I annoyed myself xo
1st recipe- Chicken & veg soup.
Cut up Chicken thighs, onions, carrots, celery, garlic if you want, dried beans (or soup mix or rice or pasta), add lots of water and a stock cube or 2 (or ready made stock).
Cook for at least 1 hour, taste for seasoning. Add salt & pepper as required.
Add any other veg that you fancy(kale, zucchini, fresh mushrooms, snow peas, ), & cook for a further 15 mins.
After typing in your diary yesterday I went & made a Vietnamese soup (the stock part anyway) & now have 6 large containers. I'll give you my recipe for that too if you like. Cheers, Cate.

I'm not big on chicken soup, but I'll give it a try. I'd love the recipe for the Vietnamese soup. Is it Pho? I was thinking of trying to make some but it looks complicated. Or if you have extra you can just mail it to me! lol jk.

You can replace the chicken with beef, but you should brown it off in a frypan & then cook it in the soup for longer.
Pho Bo-
I just went to attach it & I don't have it saved! I'll type it up later, save it & post it to you......the recipe that is :)

Year 1, Day 178 (Day 547)

Weight: 180.4

Lunch: 1 Yogurt, 1 Apple, 1 cup of Salad, 1 Ham/Pepperoni/Salami w/Cheese Sandwich

Snack: 1.5 Pints of Halo Top Ice Cream

Dinner: 2 pieces of grilled Salmon, 1 side of Mashed Potatoes, 1 side of Spinach.

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 1 cup of Diet Iced Tea

Estimated Calories: 2750

Exercise: 2.33 Hours of Walking.

My weight went up of course, besides eating a bunch of junk food, I ate dinner real late which didn't help matters. Where I live winter seems to be wanting one last hurrah before making way for the Spring since we had crappy weather it's been raining all day and it supposed to snow. The dog didn't want to walk in the weather and cut our night walk short.

You can replace the chicken with beef, but you should brown it off in a frypan & then cook it in the soup for longer.
Pho Bo-
I just went to attach it & I don't have it saved! I'll type it up later, save it & post it to you......the recipe that is :)

Cool I look forward to it. I plan on going to the store over the weekend so I'll remember to get some of the soup stuff then.

I just remembered I have it saved as a note on Facebook) :)
My Pho Bo(Vietnamese Beef noodle soup) recipe-
(Serves about 10.)

3kg beef rib bones

500g gravy beef

2 brown onions, sliced

Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger

Cinnamon stick

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

3 pieces Star Anise

Salt, to taste

500g fresh rice noodles

500g fresh bean sprouts

6 spring onions

4 firm, ripe tomatoes

2 white onions

500g rump steak

Fish sauce-pref Nuoc Mam

Lemon wedges or lime wedges

Fresh red chillies, sliced

Fresh coriander

Fresh mint

Saw-leaf herb if possible (ngo gai) If you don't have any sing out & I can pot you one.

Method.

Put bones & gravy beef in a very large pan, add cold water to cover, sliced onions, scraped & sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, whole peppercorns & star anise.

Bring to the boil, turn heat down very low, cover & simmer for at least 6 hours. Add salt to taste. Remember you will be adding fish sauce for saltiness later.

Follow cooking instructions on the noodle packet. If using fresh rice noodles (look fun, chee chong fun) pour boiling water over, soak, then drain, or steam in a colander for 5 mins. Drain well.

Prepare salad ingredients. Wash green leaves, leave whole. Slice spring onions thinly. Cut tomatoes in half lengthways, then slice in half. Peel & slice white onions. Slice steak paper thin in bite-sized portions. keep separate.

To serve.

Put a ladle of noodles & a ladle of bean sprouts in each large soup bowl. Place a few slices of beef, tomato, onion & spring onion in a large ladle, immerse in the boiling stock until beef begins to lose it's redness. It should still be pink. Pour contents of ladle over the noodles & bean sprouts in the bowl.

Guests add fish sauce, lemon, fresh herbs, salad greens & chillies to their soup at the table.

Eaten with a soup spoon(Vietnamese/Chinese type) & chopsticks. In Vietnam this is usually eaten for breakfast but is delicious any time. It was one of our favourite dishes in Vietnam & this tastes quite authentic. We have it as a meal usually.

Ginger.

We buy fresh ginger, peel it & chop it into small pieces. Put in a jar & cover with medium-dry sherry & keep in the fridge. You will always have delicious ginger handy & the "juice" is great to add to stir-fries.

Year 1, Day 179 (Day 548)

Weight: 180.4

Lunch: 2 Yogurts, 1 Apple, 1 cup of Salad, 1 bowl of Penne w/Meat sauce.

Snack: 3 Yogurts.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Country Fried Chicken)

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 1 Belgian White Ale, 1 Grapefruit Pale Ale from a local brewery.

Estimated Calories: 2700

Exercise: 2.75 Hours of Walking.

More crappy weather, at least it didn't snow. My dog wanted to go in early probably b/c of the weather again. I went to a local brewery for a meetup so I tried some of the beer they had, unfortunately they didn't have a list of calories so I had to estimate.

I just remembered I have it saved as a note on Facebook) :)
My Pho Bo(Vietnamese Beef noodle soup) recipe-
(Serves about 10.)

3kg beef rib bones

500g gravy beef

2 brown onions, sliced

Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger

Cinnamon stick

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

3 pieces Star Anise

Salt, to taste

500g fresh rice noodles

500g fresh bean sprouts

6 spring onions

4 firm, ripe tomatoes

2 white onions

500g rump steak

Fish sauce-pref Nuoc Mam

Lemon wedges or lime wedges

Fresh red chillies, sliced

Fresh coriander

Fresh mint

Saw-leaf herb if possible (ngo gai) If you don't have any sing out & I can pot you one.

Method.

Put bones & gravy beef in a very large pan, add cold water to cover, sliced onions, scraped & sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, whole peppercorns & star anise.

Bring to the boil, turn heat down very low, cover & simmer for at least 6 hours. Add salt to taste. Remember you will be adding fish sauce for saltiness later.

Follow cooking instructions on the noodle packet. If using fresh rice noodles (look fun, chee chong fun) pour boiling water over, soak, then drain, or steam in a colander for 5 mins. Drain well.

Prepare salad ingredients. Wash green leaves, leave whole. Slice spring onions thinly. Cut tomatoes in half lengthways, then slice in half. Peel & slice white onions. Slice steak paper thin in bite-sized portions. keep separate.

To serve.

Put a ladle of noodles & a ladle of bean sprouts in each large soup bowl. Place a few slices of beef, tomato, onion & spring onion in a large ladle, immerse in the boiling stock until beef begins to lose it's redness. It should still be pink. Pour contents of ladle over the noodles & bean sprouts in the bowl.

Guests add fish sauce, lemon, fresh herbs, salad greens & chillies to their soup at the table.

Eaten with a soup spoon(Vietnamese/Chinese type) & chopsticks. In Vietnam this is usually eaten for breakfast but is delicious any time. It was one of our favourite dishes in Vietnam & this tastes quite authentic. We have it as a meal usually.

Ginger.

We buy fresh ginger, peel it & chop it into small pieces. Put in a jar & cover with medium-dry sherry & keep in the fridge. You will always have delicious ginger handy & the "juice" is great to add to stir-fries.

Wow that looks complicated lol. But delicious! My dog would love for me to get some rib bones, for her of course!

Year 1, Day 180 (Day 549)

Weight: 178.8

Breakfast: 4 Yogurts, 2 Poached Eggs, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 2 pieces of Toast, 2 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 2 Yogurts, 1 Apple, 1 cup of Salad, 1 Ham/Pepperoni/Salami w/Cheese Sandwich.

Snack: 1 Yogurt, 2 Ghiardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares.

Dinner: 1 bowl of Penne w/Meat Sauce, 1 Spinach Supreme Casserole.

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 1 cup of Diet Iced Tea.

Estimated Calories: 3050

Exercise: 2.5 Hours of Walking.

I ate a little more than I would have liked. I had bought a Spinach Casserole from the store and was going to eat it on Sunday but didn't so I decided to eat it today before it went bad.

Even with the amount you're consuming Matt you are still at maintenance. You eat an amazing amount for breakfast, but not that much at night. I think we would all benefit from doing that, but I don't think I could physically eat that much. I feel I could almost burst just thinking about eating 4 tubs of yoghurt lol. You're doing well Matt!

Year 1, Day 181 (Day 550)

Weight: 178.0

Lunch: 1/2 Club Royale, 1 bag of Kettle Chips, 1 Cup of Fruit w/Cream, all from Jason's Deli.

Dinner: 2 Pieces of lemon Grilled Chicken and Linguine w/Marinara Sauce, 1 side of Spinach.

Miscellaneous: 5 Bottled Waters, 1 cup of Diet Iced Tea, 1 bottle of Sprite Zero.

Estimated Calories: 2700

Exercise: 3 Hours of Walking.

A pretty good day. The chicken was originally in a lemon herb sauce and was kind of high calorie so I scraped most of it off. I've been eating less TV Dinners lately because my grocery store started carrying these fresh precooked entrees that I just have to reheat. They have both entrees and sides. Not as ideal as cooking, but much better than frozen TV Dinners.

Even with the amount you're consuming Matt you are still at maintenance. You eat an amazing amount for breakfast, but not that much at night. I think we would all benefit from doing that, but I don't think I could physically eat that much. I feel I could almost burst just thinking about eating 4 tubs of yoghurt lol. You're doing well Matt!

Thanks well they're small tubs of Yogurt so it's not hard for me to eat!

A pretty good day. The chicken was originally in a lemon herb sauce and was kind of high calorie so I scraped most of it off. I've been eating less TV Dinners lately because my grocery store started carrying these fresh precooked entrees that I just have to reheat. They have both entrees and sides. Not as ideal as cooking, but much better than frozen TV Dinners.
They sound like a much better option Matt. Do they have a breakdown of cals etc?

Back