Matt's Diary

Day 244

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: ACHIEVED! Goal 6: In progress...

Weight: 210.6

Breakfast: 1 yogurt, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 3 cups of coffee

Lunch: 2 pieces of roasted chicken breast, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of green beans from Kroger.

Snack: 1 free sample (waffle cone frappucino)

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner ( Chicken Parmesan), 1 side of spinach

Miscellaneous: 5 bottled waters,3 cups of Diet ginger ale, 1 can of cherry coke zero.

Estimated Calories: 1700

Exercise: 4.25 hours of walking.

I know, I know, avoid the potatoes! I'm currently trying to find a substitute.I hear mashed pumpkin is good but I can't find a recipe at least one that uses canned pumpkin.

Canned Pumpkin? :eek: I didn't know pumpkin even came in cans!

haha...I'm with Cate, don't know if canned pumpkins exist, and if they do...whether it's any good. Hahaha

Regarding substitutions...brown rice is healthier than white rice if you feel like eating that. Go for sweet potato if you still feel like keeping potatoes in your life - here is a cool comparison link of its benefits as opposed to white potatoes:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/

Otherwise, on canned items since you are not a fan of cooking - I would choose it carefully as some can be super high on sodium, I personally cannot have many due to being migraine triggers, but I do allow my White Asparagus (which are yummy and naturally diuretic), Palmetto, Beets, Green Beans to come pre-packaged in glass or a can. So you can try that...if you have Trader Joe's in your area...they also sell delicious microwavable corn on the cobb and they are organic less than $5 for a package with 3-4.

For exercise...most HIIT and Functional training sessions you get to tone up while using body weight only. Maybe look up something that suits your needs, put together a program and try that for a day and see how it goes...I do my HIIT in 30-40min. and sweat like a pig, Lol - couldn't do a push-up when I started, 3 weeks later I did 15 pushups without taking a break......sure I was puffing like a madwoman when I finished, but it was one of the happiest moments in my life. HAHAHA

haha...I'm with Cate, don't know if canned pumpkins exist, and if they do...whether it's any good. Hahaha

Regarding substitutions...brown rice is healthier than white rice if you feel like eating that. Go for sweet potato if you still feel like keeping potatoes in your life - here is a cool comparison link of its benefits as opposed to white potatoes:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/

Otherwise, on canned items since you are not a fan of cooking - I would choose it carefully as some can be super high on sodium, I personally cannot have many due to being migraine triggers, but I do allow my White Asparagus (which are yummy and naturally diuretic), Palmetto, Beets, Green Beans to come pre-packaged in glass or a can. So you can try that...if you have Trader Joe's in your area...they also sell delicious microwavable corn on the cobb and they are organic less than $5 for a package with 3-4.

For exercise...most HIIT and Functional training sessions you get to tone up while using body weight only. Maybe look up something that suits your needs, put together a program and try that for a day and see how it goes...I do my HIIT in 30-40min. and sweat like a pig, Lol - couldn't do a push-up when I started, 3 weeks later I did 15 pushups without taking a break......sure I was puffing like a madwoman when I finished, but it was one of the happiest moments in my life. HAHAHA

Thanks I'll look into that. See my reply above Re:canned pumpkin. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes or beets (or bears, though I loved Battlestar Galactica!) I was looking for something that didn't involve a lot of cooking. I may just go for the brown rice.

Day 245

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: ACHIEVED! Goal 6: In progress...

Weight: 209.8

Breakfast: 2 yogurts, 1 cup of grapes, 1 cup of orange juice.

Snack: 1 bag of Grandma's mini creme vanilla cookies

Lunch/Dinner: 1 salad w/ranch dressing, 10 pieces of garlic bread, 4 slices of pepperoni pizza, 2 pieces of honey chicken bbq flatbread pizza, 1 slice of apple dessert pizza and 1 slice of Bavarian creme dessert pizza from CiCi's pizza.

Snack: 1 yogurt, 3 pieces of watermelon

Miscellaneous: 1 bottle of Diet ginger ale, 1 bottle of cherry coke zero, 2 diet iced teas.

Estimated Calories: 2702

Exercise: 3.25 hours of walking.

Ugh I screwed up today and had Cici's pizza. I might as well call the Sundays that I volunteer cheat days since that's when I usually do.

Day 246

Weight: 211.4

Breakfast: 2 yogurt,1 bowl of cantaloupe, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 3 cups of coffee

Lunch:1/2 Strawberry poppy seed and chicken salad, 1/2 BBQ chicken flatbread,1 piece of french baguette from Panera bread.

Dinner: 2 pieces of Bourbon citrus glazed salmon, 1 side of mashed pumpkin, 1 side of spinach

Miscellaneous: 5 bottled waters, 2 diet iced teas

Estimated Calories: 1860

Today started out crappy. First I find out I gained almost 2 lbs. (Though I shouldn't be surprised, I need to avoid CiCi's like the plague) and spent most of the morning walk try to keep my dog away from some spilled garbage. Also the mashed pumpkin was a bust. I mixed the can of mashed pumpkin with some maple syrup, and added some cinnamon.It didn't taste that bad until I heated it.

Day 247

Weight: 211.0

Breakfast: 2 yogurts,1 bowl of watermelon, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 3 cups of coffee

Lunch:1/2 Strawberry poppy seed and chicken salad, 1/2 BBQ chicken flat bread,1 piece of french baguette from Panera bread.

Snack: a few pieces of watermelon

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice Steamer (beef merlot), 1 side of mashed pumpkin, 1 side of spinach

Miscellaneous: 5 bottled waters, 2 diet iced teas, 2 bottles of diet ginger ale.

Estimated Calories: 1800

Day 248

Weight: 210.0

Breakfast: 2 yogurts,a few watermelon chunks, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 2 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1 Bourbon chicken w/rice, 1 piece of meatloaf, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of broccoli, 1 dinner roll from Golden Corral

Snack: a bowl of strawberries

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice Steamer (Country fried chicken), 1 side of spinach

Miscellaneous: 4 bottled waters, 2 diet iced tea, 1 bottle of diet Sprite, 1 bottle of Bai.

Exercise: 4 hours of walking.

I will say you had a good day...you managed to avoid bread (I'm overlooking that fried chicken is technically breaded) haha, love the sides of broccoli and spinach..............you are doing good Matt, I can imagine that this is not an easy thing for you, or for anyone that is not used to healthy eating, but for those of us following your diary..........we can definitely see that little by little you have managed to make some small changes in your diet, AND TRUST ME, on the long run these small changes will make a huge difference on your well being...they may not be your favorite thing to eat, but hang in there...keep moving this direction and you will see even more positive results!

I will say you had a good day...you managed to avoid bread (I'm overlooking that fried chicken is technically breaded) haha, love the sides of broccoli and spinach..............you are doing good Matt, I can imagine that this is not an easy thing for you, or for anyone that is not used to healthy eating, but for those of us following your diary..........we can definitely see that little by little you have managed to make some small changes in your diet, AND TRUST ME, on the long run these small changes will make a huge difference on your well being...they may not be your favorite thing to eat, but hang in there...keep moving this direction and you will see even more positive results!

Some things are harder than others. I'm definitely more cautious in my choices especially when I eat out, or go grocery shopping b/c not every restaurant posts calories and I have to guess. Cutting out the potatoes and bread will probably be a little more difficult also.

Day 249

Weight: 211.4

Breakfast: 2 yogurts, a few strawberries, 1 banana, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 2 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1 Bourbon chicken w/rice, 1 piece of meatloaf, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of broccoli, 1 piece of corn bread from Golden Corral

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV dinner (Steak and roated potatoes)

Miscellaneous: 6 bottled waters, 1 can of Cherry Coke zero.

Exercise: 2.75 hours of walking.

Day 250

Weight: 211.0

Breakfast: 2 yogurts, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 2 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1/2 Strawberry poppy seed and chicken salad, 1/2 BBQ chicken flat bread,1 piece of french baguette from Panera bread.

Snack: 1 yogurt.

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV dinner (Steak and roasted potatoes), 1 can of Spinach, 1 cup of orange juice.

Miscellaneous: 6 bottled waters, 2 cans of Cherry Coke zero.

Estimated Calories: 1720

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

Day 251

Weight: 208.8

Breakfast: 5 yogurts, 1 bowl of diced cantaloupe, 1 cup of orange juice.

Snack: 1 York Peppermint patty, various free samples.

Lunch: 3 pieces of baked chicken (leg, breast and thigh), 1 side of mashed potatoes.

Dinner: 2 pieces of grilled salmon, 1 side of duchess potatoes, 1 side of Spinach, 1 cup of orange juice.

Miscellaneous: 1 bottled water, 2 cans of Cherry Coke zero, 3 cups of diet iced tea.

Estimated Calories: 1885

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

Kind of a drastic drop today, though I think it might be a fluke as I slept in and weighed myself kind of late.

Whatever the reason that is a nice drop. Instead of buying canned spinach(didn't know it existed) why not buy some fresh, loose spinach or a packet of spinach from the fresh veg section of your supermarket? Well done on a day without bread Matt! :D

Day 252

Weight: 209.8

Breakfast: 5 yogurts, 1 cup of orange juice.

Lunch: 2 pieces of baked chicken (breast and thigh), 1 side of duchess potatoes, 1 side of spinach.

Dinner: 2 pieces of sirloin steak, 3 (small) pieces of salmon, 1 piece of corn on the cob, 1 side of broccoli, 1 piece of corn bread from Golden Corral

Miscellaneous: 1 bottled water, 2 cans of Cherry Coke zero, 3 cups of diet iced tea.

Estimated Calories: 1885

Exercise: 4 hours of walking.

Whatever the reason that is a nice drop. Instead of buying canned spinach(didn't know it existed) why not buy some fresh, loose spinach or a packet of spinach from the fresh veg section of your supermarket? Well done on a day without bread Matt! :D

Thanks. I'll think about it. I don't really like fresh spinach, though I like cooked spinach. BTW does corn bread count as bread?

Last edited:
I add spinach before I heat food so it ends up cooked. Yes, corn bread does count as bread :)

Day 253

Weight: 208.8

Breakfast: 3 yogurts, 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 cup of orange juice, 2 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1/2 Strawberry poppy seed and chicken salad, 1/2 BBQ chicken flat bread,1 apple from Panera bread.

Snack: 1 York peppermint patty.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (Country fried chicken), 1 cup of orange juice.

Snack: 1 yogurt.

Miscellaneous: 4 bottled waters, 1 cup of Starbucks coffee, 2 diet iced teas.

Estimated Calories: 1750

Exercise: 2.75 hours of walking.

Well other than the peppermint patty I did good today.I decided to change things up and get an apple instead of the baguette to cut down on my bread intake. I wish I could have walked more, but it was raining again yesterday. (It has been a cold, rainy month.I can't believe last year in was 100 degrees!)

Back