Matt's Diary

Just thought I'd pop back in for an update about my back problems. I went back to the Dr. and luckily its doesn't seem to be anything major like a slipped disk or a tumor.However I am concerned because I was prescribed Prednisone (I'm supposed to take 6 10 mg pills throughout the day) which I understand can cause weight gain. Any suggestions as to what I can do to make sure I'm still losing weight while on Prednisone?

Day 154

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: In progress...

Weight: 236.6

Breakfast: 1 cup of diced cantaloupe, 2 packets of oatmeal, 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1/2 Classic with chicken salad, 1/2 Turkey Bravo sandwich, 1 piece of french baguette bread all from Panera bread.

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV dinner (Sweet and Sour chicken), A bowl od chopped cucumber w/1 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette dressing, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 4 bottle of diet iced tea, 2 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking

Tomorrow I start, the Prednisone.I hope I won't gain any weight b/c of it.

I'm glad you went to the doctor. I guess just hope for the best, or if you can exercise more or cut something else out of your diet.

Day 155

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: In progress...

Weight: 235.4

Breakfast: 1 cup of diced cantaloupe, 1 cup of milk.

Snack: about 23 oz. of strawberries.

Lunch: 1 salad (lettuce,cucumber,onion, olives, some salmon, about 2 tbsp of lite Italian dressing), 1 sandwich (ham, turkey, lettuce,onion, mustard/mayo combo)

Snack: 1 Peppermint Patty

Dinner: 1 Mesquite chicken breast, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of wheat berry salad, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 bottle of diet iced tea, 5 bottled waters.

Exercise: 2.25 hours of walking

Day one of my Prednisone regiment. I've tried to change up my diet so I won't gain weight b/c of it. I'm drinking more water, eating more fruit and veggies.I did slip up and eat some chocolate and soda, but no ones perfect. I wanted to do more walking but its starting to snow again. My back pain still there but its not as bad and the other symptoms are gone.

Day 156

Weight: 234.6

Breakfast: about 20 oz. of sliced apples, 2 pieces of toast, 1.5 cups of milk.

Lunch: 1 bowl of Campbell's broccoli and cheese soup, 1 sandwich (ham, turkey, lettuce,onion, mustard/mayo combo)

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV dinner (Steak and roasted potatoes), 1 can of Pepsi.

Late snack: A few orange slices

Miscellaneous: 2 bottle of diet iced tea, 6 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.25 hours of walking

I had the day off since it snowed today (and later rained). I probably should have have stuck with less sodium considering I'm on day 2 of my Prednisone regiment, but oh well. Also I could have had a better choice of soup, but I was in the mood for soup and that was the only thing left.

Day 157

Weight: 234.8

Breakfast: About 10 orange slices, 2 packets of oatmeal and 3 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1/2 Classic with chicken salad, 1/2 Turkey Bravo sandwich, 1 piece of french baguette bread all from Panera bread.

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts, 1 side of collard greens and 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 3 bottle of diet iced tea, 7 bottled waters.

Exercise: 2.4 hours of walking

I've increased my intake of water and (black) coffee to offset some of the water retention that may happen due to the Prednisone. Luckily I haven't gained a bunch of weight (yet). I should have walked more, but today was trash day and the dog is afraid of the garbage truck. I've been also trying to cut back on TV dinners, however I may have to stop that as it can get pretty costly.

Day 158

Weight: 234.6

Breakfast: 3 packets of oatmeal and 2 cups of coffee

Dinner: 1.5 chicken legs, 1 chicken thigh, 1 side of collard greens and 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 3 bottle of diet iced tea, 1, can of Pepsi, 7 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.6 hours of walking

Day 159

Weight: 233.2

Breakfast: 1 banana, 2 packets of oatmeal and 3 cups of coffee

Dinner:1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Country herb chicken), 1 can of Collard greens, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 4 bottles of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking

Well the good thing is my weight is not going up with the Prednisone so far (knock on wood), though one side effect is I'm hungry more. Luckily I went down on my dosage today.

Day 160

Weight: 232.0

Breakfast: 2 packets of oatmeal and 3 cups of coffee

Lunch: 1/2 Classic with chicken salad (with olives added), 1/2 Turkey Bravo sandwich (with honey wheat bread instead of tomato basil), 1 piece of french baguette bread all from Panera bread.

Dinner:2 small pieces of sirloin steak, 1 small piece of salmon, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of green beans all from Golden Corral, 2 pieces of toast, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 1 Pepsi, 6 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.3 hours of walking

I went a little crazy today, not too bad. I added a different type of bread which I didn't realize added more calories (I used the mobile app which didn't do a good job of tracking calories.) I also had an extra Pepsi unfortunately, mainly b/c I ran out of diet iced tea.

Day 161

Weight: 230.0

Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast, 2 packets of oatmeal and 3 cups of coffee

Dinner: Bits of chicken (about enough for a large breast), a few pieces piece of salmon, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of green peas, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 5-6 bottled waters, 3 cups of diet iced tea.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

I can't wait to get off of this Prednisone, it makes me hungry and eat more.

You know, reading through your journal I can obviously see that you and I have completely different goals (which is totally normal - no two people are the same and no two people have the same goals), but I can also see that you are ACHIEVING your goals on a consistent basis. That's awesome, man. Seriously...no matter what your goals are, as long as you are achieving them that's all that matters. And, you're killing it.

Good job!!!

You know, reading through your journal I can obviously see that you and I have completely different goals (which is totally normal - no two people are the same and no two people have the same goals), but I can also see that you are ACHIEVING your goals on a consistent basis. That's awesome, man. Seriously...no matter what your goals are, as long as you are achieving them that's all that matters. And, you're killing it.

Good job!!!

Hey thanks. It's been harder lately because of my back problems,but I think I'm back on track!

Day 162

Weight: 228.8

Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast, 1.5 cups of milk.

Snack: 1 20 oz. bottle of Cherry coke, 1 granola bar, 1 cookie.

Lunch: 1 garden salad w/ranch dressing, 5 pieces of garlic bread, 5-6 pieces of pizza, 1 cinnamon roll, 1 brownie all from CiCi's pizza.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (Meatloaf), 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 3 cups of diet iced tea.

Ok I screwed up today and went crazy. Honestly, after some serious drops I was worried I was losing too much (Whaa?) So I succumbed to temptation. (I know keep telling yourself that right?) Anyway I guess we'll see tomorrow how much of a hypochondriac I am.

Day 163

Weight: 228.8

Breakfast: 3 packets of oatmeal, 3 cups of coffee.

Snack: 1 Banana

Dinner: 2 pieces of grilled Tilapia, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 can of peas, about 15 cocktail shrimp, 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 cups of diet iced tea,1 Pepsi, 3-4 bottles of water.

Uhh I ate a little too much again.I don't know if its the medication or I may need to eat more. At least I'm almost off the Prednisone.

Day 164

Weight: 229.2

Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast, 2 packets of oatmeal, 4 cups of coffee.

Lunch: 2 Pieces of chicken, 1 piece of fish, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of green beans, 1 side of kale, 1 roll all from Golden Corral.

Snack: some peanut butter and crackers.

Dinner: cut up cucumber and about 1-2 tbsp of lite Italian dressing, 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (classic meatloaf), 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 3 cups of diet iced tea,7 bottles of water.

Exercise: 2.5 hours of walking.

I wish you could edit postings on the new system.I forgot to include a glass of milk for yesterday.

Wow, you walk for 3.5 hours?! Do you do the same route? How did you get to that point of walking for so long? I think it's GREAT! Very inspiring.

Wow, you walk for 3.5 hours?! Do you do the same route? How did you get to that point of walking for so long? I think it's GREAT! Very inspiring.

Thanks,well my dog that loves going on long walks and I don't mind indulging her. Plus I feel bad b/c she is in the apartment most of the day while I'm at work. I can go anywhere from 2-4 hrs a day depending on the circumstances.We roughly go the same route. Though sometimes it gets changed up.

Back