Matt's Diary

Day 141

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: In progress...

Weight: 241.0

Breakfast: 1 bowl of diced cantaloupe, 1 cup of milk.

Snack: 1 chocolate fudge cookie, 1/4 doughnut, 1 20 oz. bottle of cherry coke.

Lunch: 1 salad (lettuce,onion,cucumber,carrots,banana peppers, Italian dressing), 6 pieces of garlic cheese bread, 5 slices of pepperoni pizza all from
Ci Ci's pizza.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (Country herb chicken), 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 cups of diet iced tea.

Exercise: 4.15 hours of walking

I screwed up today and ate a bunch of pizza as well as part of a doughnut and a cookie.At least I walked a good amount.

Day 142

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: ACHIEVED! Goal 5: In progress...

Weight: 241.6

Breakfast: 1 10 oz. bowl of diced cantaloupe, 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1 cup of Vegetable Pesto soup, 1/2 Classic chicken salad, 1 french baguette all from Panera Bread.

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV dinner (Steak and Roasted potatoes ), 1 can of Pepsi.

Late Snack: A few orange slices.

Miscellaneous: 3 bottles of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.4 hours of walking

Well today was eventful to say the least. As you know I've been having pain in my upper back, also in the last day my right hand and foot started not hurting but feeling funny like the feeling you get when you hit your funny bone. So I went to Patient First and they hooked me up to an EKG machine and did a blood test, then they told me it looked like I was anemic and to go to the ER. So I went to the ER and they again hooked me up to an EKG and did more test only to tell me I was borderline anemic and my heart rate is just naturally slow. Of course I'm still having back pain,plus I probably owe God knows how much money (Yay US Health Care!).

However I was thinking about this and I'm worried maybe it's because I haven't been eating enough. The last few weeks I've been eating about 1100-1250 calories per day, so oddly enough I probably should eat more. Sorry for the long post.

Hey Matt,

1100-1250 is very low for someone our size. Given the amount of exercise you've been doing you could likely double the amount of calories and still lose weight. It will slow the loss a little but would be far more healthy in the long run. Maybe a good time to add more healthy snacks to the mix or an extra salad or two throughout the day.

Maybe a good time to add more healthy snacks to the mix or an extra salad or two throughout the day.
I think so too. Maybe a little more lean protein & some non-starchy fresh veg?
Hope the back pain goes away Matt.

Hey Matt,

1100-1250 is very low for someone our size. Given the amount of exercise you've been doing you could likely double the amount of calories and still lose weight. It will slow the loss a little but would be far more healthy in the long run. Maybe a good time to add more healthy snacks to the mix or an extra salad or two throughout the day.

What types of snacks do you recommend? I was thinking of getting some baby carrots.

Hey Matt,

I just happened to stop by and couldn't help it but comment...I think is not so much quantity as it is quality of food too. If you are anemic then you definitely have to power up your consumption of Iron....take a look at this, I think it will be helpful.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Anemia/hic-anemia-and-iron-rich-foods

I have intolerance to red-meat, but definitely compensate my iron with Seafood/Veggies (think of Beets/Spinach, etc.)

I also work-out daily and have a very clean diet (with cheat meals throughout the week)...I think the balance you need to find is whether you are going for portion control (counting calories) or quality of food. I love seeing your progress - eating more salads/fruits...but the problem is, with all the exercise...your fuel for daily exercise is likely coming from the BAD stuff (coffee/tea/pepsi) - try to go for salads and for PROTEIN, instead of starch and sugary drinks and I am sure you will see a burst of energy. PS: I eat less calories than you and all my health exams came back good, again - I know it's a different situation with weight/height/gender BUT, as my nutrologist and nutritionist says...NOTHING BEATS A QUALITY HEALTHY MEAL.

Hope this helps.

Xoxox

btw baby carrots are a good source for Vitamin A, but don't have much Iron in it...you are better off with eating a peanut cereal bar (or a handful of any nuts for that matter) to get that Iron, then some baby carrots. There are some delicious healthy snacks out there, you should give it a try ;-)

Here are some of my faves: Nature Valley - Simple Nut Bar Almond Cashew
Fruits with All Natural Classic Peanut Butter from Justin's
Almond Nut-Thins - Sea Salt from Blue Diamond

Here are some of my faves: Nature Valley - Simple Nut Bar Almond Cashew
Fruits with All Natural Classic Peanut Butter from Justin's
Almond Nut-Thins - Sea Salt from Blue Diamond
I'm not familiar with these brands, but if I may give my two cents, you'd be better off getting bulk nuts seeds grains from Costco or whatever local place you have near you. Typically "bars" are loaded with sneaky extras. As he said a handful of whatever.

Thanks what types of protein and veggies should I get?
Honestly in my experience you. Should be able to eat as much as you want of any and all raw fresh veg and fruit as well as protiens 3 or four times a day.
I say try them all. Seriously.
Food is fun. Lol

Hey Matt,

I just happened to stop by and couldn't help it but comment...I think is not so much quantity as it is quality of food too. If you are anemic then you definitely have to power up your consumption of Iron....take a look at this, I think it will be helpful.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Anemia/hic-anemia-and-iron-rich-foods

I have intolerance to red-meat, but definitely compensate my iron with Seafood/Veggies (think of Beets/Spinach, etc.)

I also work-out daily and have a very clean diet (with cheat meals throughout the week)...I think the balance you need to find is whether you are going for portion control (counting calories) or quality of food. I love seeing your progress - eating more salads/fruits...but the problem is, with all the exercise...your fuel for daily exercise is likely coming from the BAD stuff (coffee/tea/pepsi) - try to go for salads and for PROTEIN, instead of starch and sugary drinks and I am sure you will see a burst of energy. PS: I eat less calories than you and all my health exams came back good, again - I know it's a different situation with weight/height/gender BUT, as my nutrologist and nutritionist says...NOTHING BEATS A QUALITY HEALTHY MEAL.

Hope this helps.

Xoxox

Thanks for the input.It looks like I have to do more shopping today lol.

Day 143

Weight: 241.4

Breakfast: 1 packet of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of milk 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1/2 Classic chicken salad, 1/2 Turkey bravo sandwich, 1 french baguette all from Panera Bread.

Dinner: 1 tin of anchovies, 3 pieces of rotisserie chicken (leg, breast and thigh? not sure),1 side of mashed potatoes, a few cucumber slices, 1 can of Pepsi.

Late Snack: A few orange slices.

Miscellaneous: 3 bottles of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking

I tried to eat more today at least more than I have been eating.

Hi Matt. My favourite protein is an egg, closely followed by chicken, fish(fresh or canned), sushi (California rolls) & I have red meat once or twice a week. Be wary of having too much salt(eg anchovies)
I have copied part of an article I found online. There is lots of info out there-
"The white meat from chicken and turkey and dark meat without the skin are good choices for lean protein. Fish provides lean protein together with omega-3 fatty acids that lower cholesterol and inhibit inflammation. Cuts of beef that meet the standards for lean meat include sirloin, flank steak, rump roast, top loin, top round and extra lean ground beef. Pork center loin and tenderloin are lean choices. Low-fat dairy products also qualify as sources of lean protein. Quinoa is a low-fat grain that’s a complete protein. Beans and legumes are naturally low-fat sources of protein. Depending on the type of bean, 1 cup may have 12 to 20 grams of protein and .5 to 1.5 grams of fat."
Cheers, Cate

Hi Matt. My favourite protein is an egg, closely followed by chicken, fish(fresh or canned), sushi (California rolls) & I have red meat once or twice a week. Be wary of having too much salt(eg anchovies)
I have copied part of an article I found online. There is lots of info out there-
"The white meat from chicken and turkey and dark meat without the skin are good choices for lean protein. Fish provides lean protein together with omega-3 fatty acids that lower cholesterol and inhibit inflammation. Cuts of beef that meet the standards for lean meat include sirloin, flank steak, rump roast, top loin, top round and extra lean ground beef. Pork center loin and tenderloin are lean choices. Low-fat dairy products also qualify as sources of lean protein. Quinoa is a low-fat grain that’s a complete protein. Beans and legumes are naturally low-fat sources of protein. Depending on the type of bean, 1 cup may have 12 to 20 grams of protein and .5 to 1.5 grams of fat."
Cheers, Cate

Thanks I forgot to get some eggs, but I got some packets of salmon, also, spinach, collard greens (kale), peas and strawberries.

Day 144

Weight: 242.6

Breakfast: 2 packets of oatmeal, 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 2 pieces of rotisserie chicken, 1 side of mashed potatoes,1 side of lima beans, 1 side of broccoli, 1 roll all from Golden Corral.

Snack: 2 pieces of Ghiardelli dark chocolate mint

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner ( Salisbury steak), 1 Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 4 bottles of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.67 hours of walking

I gained a pound though that's to be expected since I ate more ( though its odd that when I ate a bunch of Pizza Sunday I hardly gained anything, yet I ate a little more than normal I gained a little over a pound). My back doesn't hurt as much though I still have the funny feeling in my hand and foot though it's on and off. I went shopping and got a bunch of iron rich stuff, unfortunately I also splurged on chocolate. (After I ate the second piece of candy, I hid the bag in my car).

hey jonom what is your healthy weight range? How much more do you have to lose?

I'm not sure what the healthy weight range, but my ultimate goal is 180 lbs. so about 60 more lbs.

Back