Matt's Diary

Goal 7A: In Progress...

Today's Weight: 213.8

Breakfast: 1 Omelette, 2 pieces of Toast, A few Grapes.

Lunch/Dinner: 2 slices of Pepperoni Pizza, 1 side of French Fries, 1 slice of Tiramisu.

Snack: 1 Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin

Miscellaneous: 1 Bottled Water, 1 Large Dr. Pepper, 1 20 oz. Cherry Coke, 1 Box of Organic Vanilla Milk.

Estimated Calories: 3100

Exercise: 4 hours of Walking.

I did okay today, I didn't consume as many calories, but I ate mainly junk.

hello again Matt.... a while back i commented on your diary, but unfortunately before my comment i should have read more than your first and last (at the time) pages. you made a tremendous leap from where you started out to your low point, but i commented after more pages ... when you seem to have started gaining again. you are up 10 lbs from that. i hate to bring this up.... ever... but do you think something is going on? i will not dwell on this any longer, but before i made a substantial dent in my weight, it took some re-education. if you have been here before, i apologize, but i can't help but stress how much this guy opened up my eyes to why traditional dieting/ exercise, while it may work for a while, and even in rare situations could be sustainable... usually fails.

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem

if nothing else... i have heard from multiple sources, including the coach my nephew has for his running (he is a world class marathon runner), that refraining from eating for even 12 hours/ day will have a very positive effect on your general health. Chris easily tops 3500 calories/ day, but lets his digestive system recover at least 1/2 of every day.

following a schedule like this, i have not only blown past my original goal by 15 lbs, but more importantly, have maintained it for well over 6 months now.

Today's Weight: 215.6

Breakfast: 4 Yogurts, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 3 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1/2 Grilled Chicken, 1 small side of Baked beans, 1 small side of Cole Slaw.

Snack: 4 Yogurts.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce).

Snack: 2 Yogurts.

Miscellaneous: 4 Bottled Waters

Estimated Calories: 2300

Exercise: 3 hours of Walking.

Kind of a bad Monday. My weight went up, then for lunch I had to wait forever for Door Dash because the driver went to somewhere else and said it was the address I listed even though it wasn't.

hello again Matt.... a while back i commented on your diary, but unfortunately before my comment i should have read more than your first and last (at the time) pages. you made a tremendous leap from where you started out to your low point, but i commented after more pages ... when you seem to have started gaining again. you are up 10 lbs from that. i hate to bring this up.... ever... but do you think something is going on? i will not dwell on this any longer, but before i made a substantial dent in my weight, it took some re-education. if you have been here before, i apologize, but i can't help but stress how much this guy opened up my eyes to why traditional dieting/ exercise, while it may work for a while, and even in rare situations could be sustainable... usually fails.

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem

if nothing else... i have heard from multiple sources, including the coach my nephew has for his running (he is a world class marathon runner), that refraining from eating for even 12 hours/ day will have a very positive effect on your general health. Chris easily tops 3500 calories/ day, but lets his digestive system recover at least 1/2 of every day.

following a schedule like this, i have not only blown past my original goal by 15 lbs, but more importantly, have maintained it for well over 6 months now.

Well I don't know if you've seen it or not, but a little over a month ago I had a seizure and got into a car wreck. I'm fine now, but the Dr. wants me to take some anti-seizure meds and I think they are causing me to gain weight.

There may be a seizure med that can help you reduce weight. Here's more information about which seizure drugs are associated with weight gain/loss or may be weight neutral.

Weight issues for people with epilepsy--a review. - PubMed - NCBI

I had a difficult time with a lot of meds and I realized I should have made it clear to my doctors what I was willing to tolerate. When they wrote the script, there never really was a fully informed conversation about the risks. If you pushback a little, they might go do some work to find out what other meds are possible given your circumstances. If the questions never got asked, I would just end up going on what they had experience with with other patients or what the drug reps told them. Just my experience. Sucks to feel trapped on a medication and know it's causing a lot negative side effects.

Hey Matt, for what its worth I think Flyer is right, you have done something amazing, you are one of the forum heros.

I have only been here to see you after your big weight loss, and it has helped me to understand what maintenance is really like, a continued struggle of up and down. I know nothing about seizures or your medication, way outside of my expertise. I am however impressed that you are able to overcome problems like this and not only keep the weight down, but continue to lose a bit. You are a real asset around here!

Today's Weight: 214.8

Breakfast: 2 Yogurts, 4 Packets of Oatmeal, 3 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Salad w/Salmon and Anchovies and Vinaigrette, 1 Can of Chicken and Dumpling Soup, 1 Apple, 1 Bag of Grapes.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Roasted Chicken Garlic).

Estimated Calories: 2450

Exercise: 2.5 hours of Walking.

There may be a seizure med that can help you reduce weight. Here's more information about which seizure drugs are associated with weight gain/loss or may be weight neutral.

Weight issues for people with epilepsy--a review. - PubMed - NCBI

I had a difficult time with a lot of meds and I realized I should have made it clear to my doctors what I was willing to tolerate. When they wrote the script, there never really was a fully informed conversation about the risks. If you pushback a little, they might go do some work to find out what other meds are possible given your circumstances. If the questions never got asked, I would just end up going on what they had experience with with other patients or what the drug reps told them. Just my experience. Sucks to feel trapped on a medication and know it's causing a lot negative side effects.

Thanks, it looks like the medicine I'm taking, according to that abstract is listed as weight neutral, so I guess it's not causing me to gain weight, maybe its something else.

Hey Matt, for what its worth I think Flyer is right, you have done something amazing, you are one of the forum heros.

I have only been here to see you after your big weight loss, and it has helped me to understand what maintenance is really like, a continued struggle of up and down. I know nothing about seizures or your medication, way outside of my expertise. I am however impressed that you are able to overcome problems like this and not only keep the weight down, but continue to lose a bit. You are a real asset around here!

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks, it looks like the medicine I'm taking, according to that abstract is listed as weight neutral, so I guess it's not causing me to gain weight, maybe its something else.

I wouldn't assume it's not the medication bc of that abstract. It's individual and those articles usually discuss the average response which may not be yours.

Matt, I wanted to ask you, was it difficult for you when you got close to your goal weight? I'm about 3 pounds away from the first goal I have and I keep sabotaging myself by eating crap food. Did this happen to you? Do you recall how long it took you to lose the last 10 pounds or so? Was is comparable to the first 100+? Thanks.

Today's Weight: 213.6

Breakfast: 4 Packets of Oatmeal, 4 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Salad w/Mackerel, Egg, Anchovies and Vinaigrette, 1 Can of Vegetable Soup, 2 Apples.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Meatloaf).

Estimated Calories: 2420

Exercise: 3.25 hours of Walking.

I wouldn't assume it's not the medication bc of that abstract. It's individual and those articles usually discuss the average response which may not be yours.

Matt, I wanted to ask you, was it difficult for you when you got close to your goal weight? I'm about 3 pounds away from the first goal I have and I keep sabotaging myself by eating crap food. Did this happen to you? Do you recall how long it took you to lose the last 10 pounds or so? Was is comparable to the first 100+? Thanks.

I don't remember the last ten pounds taking longer then the other weight or anything unusual, actually it looks like it went a bit quicker then before. It took me a little less then 3 months to achieve my final goal, and previously it took me almost 4 months!

Well done, Matt on a day without chips, cookies or soda :) Keep that up & that weight will keep on coming down. How are you feeling these days? Any ill effects from the accident still?

I don't remember the last ten pounds taking longer then the other weight or anything unusual, actually it looks like it went a bit quicker then before. It took me a little less then 3 months to achieve my final goal, and previously it took me almost 4 months!

I looked back and I see it wasn’t linear but you’re right, it didn’t seem like you struggled too much. I see Cate was cheering you on at that time too. I’m not sure I’ve encountered anybody else who didn’t struggle with the last few pounds or so. You seem to be pretty unique in that regard.

Breakfast: 2 Poached Eggs, 2 Pieces of Toast, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 4 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Build your own Plate w/2 Half sides (Incl. Shanghai Angus Steak, Black Pepper Chicken, 1/2 Chow Mein, 1/2 Super Greens), 2 Fortune Cookies all from Panda Express.

Snack: 1 Small Cookie

Dinner: 1 Piece of Mackerel, 1 side of Corn.

Estimated Calories: 2550

I was running late so I didn't get to make my lunch. I decided to go with Uber Eats and for some reason I was in the mood for Chinese food. I also had a cookie that they were giving away as a free sample. I think I'm going to try to stick more with salads b/c I noticed my weight goes down more when I eat them.

Well done, Matt on a day without chips, cookies or soda :) Keep that up & that weight will keep on coming down. How are you feeling these days? Any ill effects from the accident still?

Yea though I did have a few cookies yesterday. Not really though sometimes I feel a bit sore though I don't know if its from the accident or as a side effect of the medication.

Salads do make a difference. I had wondered how you recovered. It would be understandable to still be a bit sore.

Today's Weight: 212.0

Breakfast: 4 Yogurts, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 4 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Can of Soup, 2 Apples, A few Crackers.

Snack: 1 Soft Pretzel w/o Salt

Dinner: 1 Cobb Salad.

Miscellaneous: 6 Bottled Waters, 3 Cocktails, 1 Shooter, 1 White Claw.

Estimated Calories: 3000

Exercise: 3.5 hours of Walking.

I did fairly well, though I probably had more alcohol than I should have though in my defense, I did space it out. I went to a meetup event after work, and it was kind of lame so I stayed an hour, had dinner (since a lot of the food served was packed with calories) and left. I did a lot of walking between drinks and had water.

Breakfast: 2 Poached Eggs, 2 Pieces of Toast, 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 4 cups of Coffee.

Lunch: 1 Build your own Plate w/2 Half sides (Incl. Shanghai Angus Steak, Black Pepper Chicken, 1/2 Chow Mein, 1/2 Super Greens), 2 Fortune Cookies all from Panda Express.

Snack: 1 Small Cookie

Dinner: 1 Piece of Mackerel, 1 side of Corn.

Estimated Calories: 2550

I was running late so I didn't get to make my lunch. I decided to go with Uber Eats and for some reason I was in the mood for Chinese food. I also had a cookie that they were giving away as a free sample. I think I'm going to try to stick more with salads b/c I noticed my weight goes down more when I eat them.

Correction: I put 3 hours of walking, but it was actually 2 hours, sorry about the mistake.

Back