Matt's Diary

Day 87

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: ACHIEVED! Goal 3: ACHIEVED! Goal 4: In Progress...

Weight: 273.6

Breakfast: 1 packet of oatmeal,1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1 ham and swiss sub sub (ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, onion, pickles and lite mayo), 1 1.8 oz. bag of chips from Wawa. 1 can of Pepsi.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (sweet and sour chicken)1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 1 cup of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking.

Day 88

Weight: 272.4

Lunch: 1 Caribbean chicken breast, 1 Caribbean chicken drumstick, 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, 1 side of mashed potatoes and gravy, 1 side of macaroni and cheese and 1 small side of green beans, all from Golden Corral. 1 can of Pepsi.

Dinner: N/A

Miscellaneous: 1 Pepsi, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

I went a little overboard during lunch I ate so much I was full the rest of the day and I skipped dinner, which was my second mistake.

Day 89

Weight: 271.2

Breakfast: 1 packet of oatmeal,1/2 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1 6 inch Turkey bacon sub, 1 1.8 bag of potato chips, 1 can of Pepsi all from Wawa.

Dinner: A few pieces of roasted chicken, 1 side of mashed potatoes, 2 slices of garlic toast. 1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 1 Diet Iced Tea, 1 bottled water.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

Last edited:
Hi Matt. I could not get through a day without eating fruit & vegetables & I don't eat potatoes. It would be good for your long-term health to introduce more fresh fruit & veg. I just read out what you ate to my 7 year old grandson & he said. "That's no good Nan. Some of it's healthy, like the meat, but Pepsi too? That's no good. No salad, no fruit. That's no good." Word for word Matt. Out of the mouth of babes. Our son gets his kids to eat a salad before their main meal so they are in the habit of it. Habits can be changed. It would be good to not only be slimmer, but also much healthier. I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a nag :blush5: & I try not to be negative. I would love to see you eating healthier & dare I say it drinking more water & less Pepsi. I know you have cut it down & are walking lots & that is great! Cheers, Cate

Hi Matt. I could not get through a day without eating fruit & vegetables & I don't eat potatoes. It would be good for your long-term health to introduce more fresh fruit & veg. I just read out what you ate to my 7 year old grandson & he said. "That's no good Nan. Some of it's healthy, like the meat, but Pepsi too? That's no good. No salad, no fruit. That's no good." Word for word Matt. Out of the mouth of babes. Our son gets his kids to eat a salad before their main meal so they are in the habit of it. Habits can be changed. It would be good to not only be slimmer, but also much healthier. I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a nag :blush5: & I try not to be negative. I would love to see you eating healthier & dare I say it drinking more water & less Pepsi. I know you have cut it down & are walking lots & that is great! Cheers, Cate

Well after reading this I went ahead and ate an apple so there :p. I thought about eating a salad before dinner, but I don't want to eat a huge meal. I'll try to eat more veggies in the future.

Well Matt, every journey starts with a small step. My GS said I don't think one apple would make much difference Nan, but my husband said that's a start. The reason the kids eat a salad first is because it is nutritious & then they don't eat a big meal, with little nutritional value. By a salad I mean some combination of lettuce, celery, raw carrot, raw snow peas, cucumber, tomato, sprouts etc & NO dressing. I like some vinaigrette on the side & have a couple of teaspoons of a low-fat mayo sometimes.
I ordered a chicken salad once in Baltimore & was horrified. It was a gluggy, mayo mess & was inedible. My sister had been shocked when I ordered it, but hadn't wanted to be rude by querying it. A chicken salad here is some cold roast chicken & a generous salad with no dressing. If you want mayo you ask for it. It sometimes may come with a light vinaigrette.
I'm not your mother, or your grandmother & I can easily stay away & not say anything. If you want to just lose weight that's your choice.
I can't really believe you said "I went ahead and ate an apple so there"
:leaving: I can stay away from your diary if you like.... It is your diary, not mine.
Cheers, Cate

Well Matt, every journey starts with a small step. My GS said I don't think one apple would make much difference Nan, but my husband said that's a start. The reason the kids eat a salad first is because it is nutritious & then they don't eat a big meal, with little nutritional value. By a salad I mean some combination of lettuce, celery, raw carrot, raw snow peas, cucumber, tomato, sprouts etc & NO dressing. I like some vinaigrette on the side & have a couple of teaspoons of a low-fat mayo sometimes.
I ordered a chicken salad once in Baltimore & was horrified. It was a gluggy, mayo mess & was inedible. My sister had been shocked when I ordered it, but hadn't wanted to be rude by querying it. A chicken salad here is some cold roast chicken & a generous salad with no dressing. If you want mayo you ask for it. It sometimes may come with a light vinaigrette.
I'm not your mother, or your grandmother & I can easily stay away & not say anything. If you want to just lose weight that's your choice.
I can't really believe you said "I went ahead and ate an apple so there"
:leaving: I can stay away from your diary if you like.... It is your diary, not mine.
Cheers, Cate

Cate, I was being facetious when I said that, I had no intention of being offensive. I apologize if I offended.The fact of the matter is I do value your advice and I would really hate to see you leave. Heck sometimes I wonder if ANYONE reads this, and its good to know at least one person reads my diary and I hate to see that change b/c I put my virtual foot in my mouth.

Day 90

Weight: 271.2

Lunch: 1/2 Italian sub, 1 bowl of vegetable pesto soup, 1 baguette from Panera bread. 1 can of Pepsi.

Snack: 1 Apple.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Chicken Parmesan),1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking, 5 minutes pushing a truck.

I'm sorry too! I over-reacted. I have had a somewhat stressful week. We are all doing the best we can. I am surrounded by people who are behaving very churlishly & I must have taken too much on board. I'll take my foot out too. We'll start over, xo Cate

Day 91

Weight: 270.6

Lunch: 1 salad (lettuce, onions, peas, cucumbers, carrots, olives, 1 hard boiled egg, pieces of chicken, about 1-2 tbsp of Italian dressing) 1 bottled water.

Snack: 1 Apple. .25 of a carrot.

Dinner: 1 Healthy Choice TV Dinner (Country fried chicken),1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 diet iced teas, 1.5 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.16 hours of walking.

Besides the TV dinner I ate pretty well today.

I'm sorry too! I over-reacted. I have had a somewhat stressful week. We are all doing the best we can. I am surrounded by people who are behaving very churlishly & I must have taken too much on board. I'll take my foot out too. We'll start over, xo Cate

That's ok. I hope your week gets less stressful!

Day 92

Weight: 269.8

Breakfast: 2 yogurts, 1 cup of skim milk.

Lunch: 1 ham and turkey sandwich (ham, turkey, mayo/honey mustard mix, a dab of peppercorn gourmaise, lettuce, and onion) a few cucumber spears w/gourmaise dip, chicken gumbo soup. 1 can of Pepsi.

Dinner: 1 piece of chopped steak ( I only ate 1 piece b/c it tasted gross), 1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of green beans, 1 roll, 1 side salad (salad mix, onion, cucumbers, olives, pepperocini, 1-2 tbsp of Panera bread Asian sesame dressing).1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 diet iced teas.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking.

You are past the 3 month mark nowwww!! Woot, Woot!! Was that a 50lbs weight loss accomplishment in 90days???? \0/ SO IMPRESSIVE!! I love reading your diary and watching your progress Matt...you are showing everyone out there that is struggling with weight loss that IT IS POSSIBLE, that you can turn your life around and make positive changes as long as you commit to it...and I am glad that you took some of Cate's advice these past couple of days...I know that you said that it may keep you full/or it may be too much if you add a salad in addition to what you were already eating...BUT, the point is, a lot of times healthier food doesn't taste as great because for a lot of people they avoid entertaining their taste buds with that choice...if you slowly add fruits/salads/proteins/grains to your meals, then eventually you will be more inclined to reject the high on sodium/carbs meals....at first a salad and just protein may be not as satisfying as carbs, but since you are keeping it active and loosing weight, overall making better choices than before, you will also crave eating a healthier meal!! ;-) Nutrition ALWAYS trumps over calories......but I don't need to tell you that, if you keep doing what you are doing in your search for a BETTER AND HEALTHIER YOU, then eventually you will realize that!! Xoxox

Day 93

Weight: 269.2

Lunch: 1/2 Turkey bravo sandwich, 1 bowl of vegetable pesto soup, 1 french baguette all from Panera bread. 1 can of Pepsi.

Dinner: 1 bowl of cut up cucumbers and onions w/ 1 tbsp of lite Italian dressing, a few pieces of roasted chicken, 1 side of mashed potatoes.1 can of Pepsi.

Snack: 1 Apple

Miscellaneous: 1 diet iced tea, 3.5 bottled waters.

Exercise: 2.5 hours of walking.

Yeah, definitely avoid the refined sugars and go from there. Also, increase your activity and steps is always a great way to make constant progress.

We have a dynamic warm-up which serves as a very low impact, total body workout and is phenomenal for gaining strength, burning calories and regaining mobility. It's completely all-level if anyone wants to try it. Just let me know.

Justin

Day 94

Weight: 268.8

Lunch: 1 Turkey bacon sub, 1 1 oz bag of chips, 1 small Reese's peanut butter cup, 1 can of Pepsi, all from WaWa.

Dinner: 1 side salad (anchovies,lettuce,onion,cucumbers,olives,2 tbsp of lite Italian dressing), 1 piece of salmon and rice, 1 side of mashed potatoes.1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 cups of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.67 hours of walking.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here's to another 90 days and another 50 lbs!! Now for the questions is it ok to add meat to a side salad? What's a good way to measure a tbsp if you don't have a measuring spoon available? Also I have to stop w/ the sweets.I know it was small (about the size of a quarter) but still...

Going well Matt. A side salad can be all sorts of things, but is usually fairly plain & without meat. I think the main thing is not having it drowned in mayo or dressing. I always have protein with my meals, whether it's a salad or a hot meal. I often have a bowl of salad- usually lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, snow peas, grated carrot, perhaps a boiled egg, cut up, some avocado(1/4-1/2), some fresh herbs from the garden & a couple of teaspoons of a light mayo & a little vinaigrette. I add either a small can of drained tuna or some lean chicken, or ham. You can add some shaved cheese(parmesan?) as well. It's delicious & surprisingly filling. I don't have potatoes any more & eat a little rice only. Lean meat, fish & fresh veg & fruit make up most of my diet.
Re measuring a tablespoon, without a spoon. That's a hard one. Guessing should do. Trust your instincts.
Good to see more water in there Matt & the salad. Fruit is good to satisfy your sweet tooth, without the guilt.
Cheers, Cate

Going well Matt. A side salad can be all sorts of things, but is usually fairly plain & without meat. I think the main thing is not having it drowned in mayo or dressing. I always have protein with my meals, whether it's a salad or a hot meal. I often have a bowl of salad- usually lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, snow peas, grated carrot, perhaps a boiled egg, cut up, some avocado(1/4-1/2), some fresh herbs from the garden & a couple of teaspoons of a light mayo & a little vinaigrette. I add either a small can of drained tuna or some lean chicken, or ham. You can add some shaved cheese(parmesan?) as well. It's delicious & surprisingly filling. I don't have potatoes any more & eat a little rice only. Lean meat, fish & fresh veg & fruit make up most of my diet.
Re measuring a tablespoon, without a spoon. That's a hard one. Guessing should do. Trust your instincts.
Good to see more water in there Matt & the salad. Fruit is good to satisfy your sweet tooth, without the guilt.
Cheers, Cate

Cate, that sounds delicious, though I don't like tomatoes or celery.I'd probably substitute olives and onion and add a pepperocini for flavor. I've never put mayo on my salad I'll have to try it, currently I use Olive Garden brand lite Italian.

Day 94

Weight: 268.8

Lunch: 1 Turkey bacon sub, 1 1 oz bag of chips, 1 small Reese's peanut butter cup, 1 can of Pepsi, all from WaWa.

Dinner: 1 side salad (anchovies,lettuce,onion,cucumbers,olives,2 tbsp of lite Italian dressing), 1 piece of salmon and rice, 1 side of mashed potatoes.1 can of Pepsi.

Miscellaneous: 2 cups of diet iced tea, 3 bottled waters.

Exercise: 3.67 hours of walking.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here's to another 90 days and another 50 lbs!! Now for the questions is it ok to add meat to a side salad? What's a good way to measure a tbsp if you don't have a measuring spoon available? Also I have to stop w/ the sweets.I know it was small (about the size of a quarter) but still...

WOW! Congrat's on all of your hard work!! :hurray:

No measuring spoon...No problem.. Use the cap on your dressing bottle! ;)

Back