Cate's Diary

Those N95s really are excellent.

I am especially disgusted and disappointed in the idiocy of some people these days. I guess hate and fear have always been around but now hateful/fearful behaviour now has many platforms and the stupid can find each other and promote further stupidity. Great that you brought something positive into being with your interaction with Ben.

Thanks, Marsia, Llama, Liza, Em & Bubbles for the hugs & love.
I'm glad that I had a chance to have the conversation with Ben & hopefully, I left him feeling better about his place in the world( & about older women!) He is very sweet & kind & he does not deserve to be mistreated by anyone.
I am going to speak up more often against racism. G & I both hear some awful things & weigh up losing friends we love over it.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ( a quote whose attribution is argued over).

Marsia- I think I will buy some more of the Indigenous prints as it is also supporting Indigenous artists. I'll be making lots more hearts in the next couple of months I think. There is such a need for more love & kindness out there!

I am already recovering from my reaction yesterday & will stay out of all shops between now & my op. I will not go into the chemist's shop again. They have already offered to meet me outside with my purchases & gave me an account & that is an option I can use if I no longer have G to pick up my scripts. I must remember my reaction yesterday & realise that I should not risk such a setback. Masks are not enough in a chemist's shop. They are a cocktail of chemicals.

I felt like I needed to take my emergency steroids for a few days, but didn't want to unless I absolutely needed to just before the op as the anaesthetist carefully weighed up what I take & advised me what not to take on the day. The nurse didn't want us to have another covid booster until afterwards either. I feel much better today, but I am grateful to have a home day with nothing planned until next Wednesday when I must try to play golf! At this stage, Wednesday is meant to be without rain.

I am busting to tell someone about something so will share it with you. G is being nominated for life membership of the golf club. I hope it goes through as it will heal a lot of the pain he experienced. The woman who nominated him kept something quiet years ago when she should have spoken up & let us take the blame & I feel she is trying to make up for it. She has been contacting me to check up on details & I think to make sure that she is doing the right thing & I have been able to reassure her that she is & that G will be thrilled. She has got signatures from men on the committee & J1 & said the men were honoured to sign. I told her I don't want G to hear if it gets rejected for any reason as it would hurt him too much. I will get G to take me to the women's AGM and say that I felt that I should so that it won't seem odd that I think we should go to the club AGM, where it would get presented. That's if I know it is going to happen 100%.

We visited a place that hires out & sells mobility aids yesterday & it was good to see that the things I already have are as good, if not better than the things they stock. I asked the young woman who served us if CP still worked there & she said he was the state manager. That was slightly embarrassing. He's our nephew. I asked her to say hello from us. CP is G's bossy sister's second son. He's lovely. We haven't seen him for ages.

Crossing my fingers (but not my toes because I hear it's bad for them :p ) for G's lifetime club membership! That would be such a lovely sign of appreciation.
Wouldn't it be nice if your nephew reached out after hearing youbsaid hi and you could build a relationship with him with going through his mom? Or if you have his number you could message him: the store visit and his promotion (?) would be a nice hook either way.

am busting to tell someone about something so will share it with you. G is being nominated for life membership of the golf club.
Awesome! I hope it goes through! Lovely to hear how a lot of past wounds are getting healed there.

Glad you are recovering well after yesterday's run-in with the chemicals!

Crossing my fingers (but not my toes because I hear it's bad for them :p ) for G's lifetime club membership! That would be such a lovely sign of appreciation.
Oh, it would, Llama. Thank you.
Wouldn't it be nice if your nephew reached out after hearing youbsaid hi and you could build a relationship with him with going through his mom? Or if you have his number you could message him: the store visit and his promotion (?) would be a nice hook either way.
We have always liked this nephew, but because we don't go to the big Christmases with his Mum anymore we had just lost touch. It was just too much for us & the animosity his ex has for him was awful to witness. She has been mean & vindictive, but his new partner sounds lovely so I hope he will be happy. He may have had this position for ages & we didn't know, but I'm not going to ask his Mum as G & I don't want her coming out & telling us what to do. We need a break from her.
Awesome! I hope it goes through! Lovely to hear how a lot of past wounds are getting healed there.
Thanks, Liza. It's such a good thing. We are both forgiving people & I think most people have worked out where the problem was. This will do a lot for G to help heal what happened & how he was treated.
Glad you are recovering well after yesterday's run-in with the chemicals!
Thanks. Me too!
Since lunch I have had a phone appointment with a GP for a couple of scripts, which will be sent through to the chemist & G will pick them up for me on his (our?) way to golf. I cancelled an in-person visit I had scheduled for next week.
Something incredible happened. I got a message on FB messenger from my late sister's son asking how I was & telling me how he was going through his garage & found a box of silver things that were his Mum's. He said that there was something that she wanted me to have & wondered if I remembered what it was. I don't but asked if he could send me some photos, which he said he would do tomorrow.
I told him that I think of him on every birthday & had wished that I could ring him but now I know he uses messenger I will keep in touch more often. I have posted on his FB page but I don't think he has used it for over a decade. I told him he had made my day by getting in touch. His wife left him for her dance instructor & I have wondered how he is so many times. He lives in California & is a Maths Professor.
Something seems to be happening with me & the universe. Thank you universe!
Our neighbour just came up to measure up to fit our stairs for a stair rail which he will make. His wife saw me this morning walking Arch & lent me a jigger to lift my leg up onto the bed in case that is difficult. She has been given these things, but that is irrelevant. I will find a way of repaying their kindness. We will pay him to make the stair rail but I think a meal voucher somewhere nice wouldn't go amiss.
What is happening in my life? Does asking for help draw people in?

What is happening in my life? Does asking for help draw people in?
Yes, yes it does. Being open and vulnerable draws people in. Or maybe you've helped so many people over the years they're just happy to finally be able to give something back.
He may have had this position for ages & we didn't know, but I'm not going to ask his Mum as G & I don't want her coming out & telling us what to do. We need a break from her.
I meant to say withOUT going through his mother, but my fingers didn't get the message apparently...

I do think asking for help draws people in. We were nearly living in a homeless shelter and penniless a year ago, and now I have most of my inheritance back and a lot of people helping me. It's amazing what asking does! It's great you are befriending so many people with the hearts and reconnecting with family! I really hope G gets the award. You both put so much into the club, it would be so fitting and nice for him! So glad you have a handy neighbor who can make you a rail, too! I think Llama is right about being open drawing people in. So glad things are going so well!!

Something incredible happened. I got a message on FB messenger from my late sister's son asking how I was & telling me how he was going through his garage & found a box of silver things that were his Mum's. He said that there was something that she wanted me to have & wondered if I remembered what it was. I don't but asked if he could sent me some photos, which he said he will do tomorrow.
It'll be interesting to see what it is that she wanted you to have. I love stuff like that--the connection with loved ones that have passed--makes me feel like they are still looking out for me...
I hope you can stay more connected with your nephew (maybe both your nephews) now that there has been a renewed connection made there.

It is so lovely to hear of all the love and help you are receiving lately! Your heart is wide open to receiving it all!

Yes, yes it does. Being open and vulnerable draws people in.
I think it must. Maybe some people (like our older son) are just waiting to be asked.
I meant to say withOUT going through his mother, but my fingers didn't get the message apparently...
I thought that's what you meant :)
I do think asking for help draws people in. We were nearly living in a homeless shelter and penniless a year ago, and now I have most of my inheritance back and a lot of people helping me. It's amazing what asking does! It's great you are befriending so many people with the hearts and reconnecting with family! I really hope G gets the award. You both put so much into the club, it would be so fitting and nice for him! So glad you have a handy neighbor who can make you a rail, too! I think Llama is right about being open drawing people in. So glad things are going so well!!
It's surprising what asking for help does. I'm so glad that you are getting help, M & life is looking so much better for you xo
It'll be interesting to see what it is that she wanted you to have. I love stuff like that--the connection with loved ones that have passed--makes me feel like they are still looking out for me...
I had a vision of a bowl later in the day that had me gobsmacked at its beauty. Maybe that was it. I can't quite grasp the image, but it's lurking in the back of my brain.
I hope you can stay more connected with your nephew (maybe both your nephews) now that there has been a renewed connection made there.
I will, Liza.
It is so lovely to hear of all the love and help you are receiving lately! Your heart is wide open to receiving it all!
Thank you xo
All I can say is that you are so very deserving of all this love and attention. Enjoy it Cate!
Thanks, Em. You are too. Sending you more hugs for you & your Mum xoxo

We are such complex creatures! I woke up this morning feeling so anxious. The thought of having a rail glued to our stone woodbox has me feeling so sick & nervous. The rock is Dolomite (blue stone) & is too hard to drill into he said so he will attach it to the floor in front & up & sloped to match the slope of the stairs & then get glued to the rock via a steel plate. He said it will dry quickly & shouldn't be a problem with fumes.
I have looked it up & I think it's too big a risk so have messaged him. He'll be shitty with me, but I can't risk compromising my lungs. I'll manage without.

It's sad how people don't understand about allergies to all the toxic building supplies out there. I'm glad you are putting your foot down about it. I looked dolomite up and they make countertops out of it, so people do have tools to work with it well, just not your neighbor, it seems. I hope he is reasonable about this. Hugs!!!

Thanks, Marsia (& Em) :grouphug:
I tried ringing him but he was engaged & then I messaged him but didn't get a reply. I got a notification this morning that I had a parcel to pick up from the post office so G & I went into our local town with Arch & did a few things. I have paid for G's newspaper until September & our weekly lotto ticket until then. G went into the chemist for me & got the scripts the doctor had sent through. The parcel that was there is another doona cover seat like the one I have for our queen bed. I bought a new king-sized doona and a special cover that zips on 3 sides just before Winter. I have been using a top sheet but it has been not easy to wash & get the doona cover dry to put back on the bed. We don't have a dryer. It was quite expensive but such good quality & feels wonderful (& had no fragrance from the start). The other day I looked online to see how much they are now & they have gone up in price since then. Then I looked at their clearance link (just oddments) & there was a king-sized set in one pattern only that I quite liked the look of for $140 less than my last set. I paid $10 for express postage & that's what arrived today. They are striped & lovely & will match my other bedding well. I think I'll keep using a top sheet as we have got used to it & it does save on washing & I hopefully won't have a dog sleeping on top of our bed for a while. If I could get him to stay well on the other side of the bed it would be OK, but he usually sleeps curled up on top of the bed hard up against my back!

I was feeling very nervous about the neighbour but called in on our way home. His wife was there & said he was away already & she wouldn't see him until Tuesday. I asked her to apologise to him when she speaks to him & tried to explain why I am so scared about glue. No-one really understands but I was a bit teary & made sure that she passed on that if he had done any work already I would pay for it & he could just put the steel aside for down the track when we could work out a way to do the job without using glue. I told her I would manage & can leave a chair at the top of the stairs if I have trouble using them. I think she understood (as much as anyone ever does) & she was trying to think of ways I could have rails. I think she often helps him plan things. I have always wished the second set of stairs was a ramp & this may be the catalyst to getting them converted (with rails).

D's wife has been messaging me today & she didn't think gluing a rail was very safe at all. She sent me a pic of what she thinks would be good but it would also have to be attached to stone as our steps are stone.I'll let her know I have cancelled the work. I do love that she's thinking of ways to help me.

I have been teary this morning, but feel better now I have cancelled it. I need to be safe in my own home.

You definitely do need to feel safe in your own home. Tbh I don't think steps are going to be a big issue if you're only getting one foot done. (Am I remembering that right?) At least not while you're on crutches. You just put your healthier foot first when going up and your temporarily-embarrassed foot first when going down. (A common reminder around here is to say you send the good leg to heaven and the bad one to hell. I hate the imaging but it works as a mnemonic.) Sure it's slower than alternating legs but that's not an issue during recovery.

I'm glad you got that rail cancelled Cate. Although it may be hard for some people to understand all the issues around chemical sensitivities, I would hope that people would just trust that you know what works and doesn't work for you and not hold it against you.
I'm happy for you with the new bedding--sounds lovely!

You definitely do need to feel safe in your own home. Tbh I don't think steps are going to be a big issue if you're only getting one foot done. (Am I remembering that right?) At least not while you're on crutches. You just put your healthier foot first when going up and your temporarily-embarrassed foot first when going down. (A common reminder around here is to say you send the good leg to heaven and the bad one to hell. I hate the imaging but it works as a mnemonic.) Sure it's slower than alternating legs but that's not an issue during recovery.
Thanks, Llama. I had read the saying "Up with the good & down with the bad" & have been trying to remember it. I am only getting one foot done now & I hope the other doesn't deteriorate any more for years. If I can put my right heel down I'll be OK.
I'm glad you got that rail cancelled Cate. Although it may be hard for some people to understand all the issues around chemical sensitivities, I would hope that people would just trust that you know what works and doesn't work for you and not hold it against you.
I'm happy for you with the new bedding--sounds lovely!
So am I, Liza. I felt so relieved! I was really upset with G because he said he thought I was overthinking it & worrying about something that may not affect me. My biggest worry is our home compromising my health. I can't risk it. He knows that really, but I think he also gets uncomfortable around it all.
The new bedding is lovely. It had a slight chemical smell but I have washed it in bicarb soda, a little vinegar & some of my fragrance-free hand wash & the smell has gone. I'm drying it all on a clothes horse in our living room & it makes me happy. I'll change it over next week & put a cover over it so it's lovely & fresh when I get home from hospital.

I'm feeling a lot better tonight. I told G this morning that he should go to golf tomorrow & I won't as "You need a day away from me." It will do us both good. I will make a couple of calls- one to R and one to C & maybe my sister. It's horrible weather here at the moment- windy, wet & quite cold.

I'll change it over next week & put a cover over it so it's lovely & fresh when I get home from hospital.
That sounds so nice to have a nice fresh bed to come home to.
'm feeling a lot better tonight. I told G this morning that he should go to golf tomorrow & I won't as "You need a day away from me." It will do us both good
So glad you are feeling better. I like the sound of your and G's relationship--a bit of space is so necessary sometimes!

I'm glad you are feeling better about things Cate. I think in these scenarios, best to trust your gut instinct, even if you might have to have an unpleasant conversation or two. Well done.

I got new bedding two weeks ago (two sets!) and it makes me happy every time I see it. Enjoy!
Thanks, Llama. I get a lot of pleasure from lovely bedding. I have wasted money on cheap bedding that is not so comfortable & does not bring me joy. We spend a lot of our lives in bed.
That sounds so nice to have a nice fresh bed to come home to.
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” ~ Robert Burns
It was a good idea, Liza until Arch threw up on our bed overnight. I had washed the new doona cover set & luckily dried it in front of the fire yesterday. This morning I managed to get the sick out of my lovely original doona cover & have it washed and on a second clothes horse in the living room, soaked just the section of our woollen doona that was affected & managed to get the nasty orange stain out & have the doona drying in front of the fire. I only have one king-sized doona. I'll look out for another when they are on special. My living room looks like a laundry. I still have the sheets to wash, but I can hang them in the garage. I'll do that soon. There's no point hanging anything on the clothesline as it's overcast & more showers are predicted. It's also quite chilly.
So glad you are feeling better. I like the sound of your and G's relationship--a bit of space is so necessary sometimes!
Thanks, Liza. Our relationship is a healthy one but we need some time apart. It's good to recognise that. We were getting under one another's skin.
I'm glad you are feeling better about things Cate. I think in these scenarios, best to trust your gut instinct, even if you might have to have an unpleasant conversation or two. Well done.
Thanks, Em. I don't like asking this neighbour for help unless it's necessary. I'm so relieved that I did trust my instincts. My instincts tell me I need a stonemason to build up the wood box to the height I have always thought it should be & even better would be to have the second set of steps turned into a ramp. The simplest way I think would be a ramp made out of concrete & then rails could be attached either side to the concrete.......I think that would work. There would be no glue needed....

I don't know how many times over the years I have come up with a solution to a problem by typing away in my diary! I will see if I can find out who could do this for me, in consultation with T, my DIL who is a nurse in aged care.
I just turned my laptop on at 3.44 pm to see this long post still sitting here. Whoops! My battery died & I plugged it in & have been flat strap ever since. I also called R, had a quick bite for lunch & then rang C. What a good day. I just got back from walking Arch. I won't read over it!

Back