Cate's Diary

I'm laughing a lot at 'It is what is it.' Lol.

Oh God, how sad for him that he missed the big party. I can see the humour in it though. I'm glad you enjoyed it more or less. Did you go on the ship at all? Was the ship a follow-up to the lunchtime party or to bring you somewhere else? I got confused with the arrangements.

Saga warning....
I think I will attempt an explanation for what was a very confusing (even to me) trip.

Initially, we were invited by D to celebrate his 100th birthday at a party to be held at midday on his birthday at an RSL(Returned Sevices League) near where he lives. He lives not far from where the ship from Tasmania to mainland Australia gets in. It's an overnight trip each way or they do day sailings in Summer. G's 2 sisters had booked to go over on the ship the night before the planned party with a car as L was headed off on a road trip(W was going to stay in Melbourne) & could drive us there if we went on the same sailing & G's brother & SIL could drive us back that night after the intended lunchtime party so we booked our tickets.
At the last minute, D & his wife M changed the party to Friday night. His daughters then decided to have lunch on his birthday just for family (incl. D & M) & said that we were welcome to join them.

Neither of us wanted to go ahead with the trip as we saw him last year & we would miss the big party anyway, but each time G spoke to his brother he just couldn't tell him. We could have postponed our booking up to a year ahead & done a road trip on our own sometime adding our car to the booking later. G has so much trouble saying no to his brother or sisters (to anyone really).

We enjoy travelling on our own & are happy with one another's company. When you add any combination of his family tensions get added. Both sisters are touchy & get very crabby with one another. One sister (L, the bully) is always snapping at me (& her sister) & telling me that I should never speak for G & how would I know what he wants or thinks. The last time we went for the regular "family" lunch W, the other sister, brought out a children's game after lunch & they all played it, even though I know G does not like playing games. He was bullied into it & of course, didn't speak up for himself. I was made out to be a spoilsport. You are not "allowed" to chat while they play.

When G's 2 sisters met us on the ship, W soon produced another of these games (in a tin) & I flared up. G & I always enjoy catching up with people we know (or strangers) & chatting & all of a sudden out comes this very childish game, he is expected to play & I am not allowed to talk to them. Well, I tried, but was ignored as they "had to concentrate". It was like snap but you had to match pictures. I thought W had brought them just to annoy me & that shocked her. We had a quiet chat the next morning & I apologised for "over-reacting" & last night she rang me to make sure we were good with one another. I appreciated that. I like W. We had a good talk last night. We talked mainly about their sister & I told W how L makes me feel & excludes me from "family" discussions. She is well aware of how L snaps at me. We agreed that L is a bully, but that she would be shocked if she knew we thought that. Family dynamics can be so complicated. I told her that we won't be moving in near all of them anytime soon, but she is always welcome to come visit us on her own & stay if she likes. She & G's brother & SIL are barely talking to one another at the moment so she isn't seeing much of them but used to visit them often. She moved to be near them. *sigh*

It was all a bit weird really about the party being changed & then us going to lunch at a restaurant in Melbourne, rather than where we thought we were going but we were philosophical about it. When we got there & were told that D & M weren't going to get there as he was taken to hospital I think we had half expected it. The "family" that was there we didn't know. D had 10 kids all up with so many different women. The one we connected with is lovely & isn't D's daughter, but his wife's. She is a sweetie. She has fond memories of meeting us all those years ago & we exchanged phone numbers & invited her to stay. The rest weren't very friendly particularly. G sat next to one of the daughter's partners who had his back turned away from G for most of the lunch. We talked about it later & laughed about it all.

G's brother, D drove us back to the ship & because it was early offered to take us with them to visit some friends of theirs. G's brother is so rude to his wife & puts her down. It's awful. His other brother was worse. We said we were more than happy to kill time at the terminal. We found things to read & chatted about the day, chatted to strangers & then had a relaxing evening onboard. We were the first to walk on the night before & had chatted to the crew about why were going. When we got back on board once again we were first on & it was the same crew. We had a few laughs with them when we said he didn't make it to the "party". I said "Hey, he did make 100!" I'm glad we can see the funny side to most things. I'm glad we have each other. If I die before G I hope he'll do his own thing & not allow himself to be bullied by his siblings.

When we got back home the house was SO cold & after 24 hours it is feeling much better. This is such an unusual cold snap. It was the first time our pipes had frozen since we lived in our house. We made sure to run the taps during the night, whenever either of us got up.

Arch won't be going back to those kennels. He was quite stressed yesterday. He is happy with the ones we normally take him, but these were much more convenient for a trip on the ship. They cost $24 a day, instead of the usual $40 but I think with kennels you do get what you pay for.

OK. That will do for now. Any questions, ask away :)

Oh, wow, that all sounds so stressful. I'm so glad you and G have each other! You are amazingly tolerant of G's relatives. Was the ferry home at least relaxing and nice? Is D ok now? How is G about the whole trip? I hope your pipes are ok now. Did it warm up again yet? How is Archie now? I hope he feels better, too!!

Oh, wow, that all sounds so stressful. I'm so glad you and G have each other! You are amazingly tolerant of G's relatives. Was the ferry home at least relaxing and nice? Is D ok now? How is G about the whole trip? I hope your pipes are ok now. Did it warm up again yet? How is Archie now? I hope he feels better, too!!
It probably wasn't as stressful as it sounds. I am so grateful that I have G & we have such a great relationship. I put up with most of the family stuff because it's his family & he loves them. We haven't heard how D is, but I'm sure we will sometime soon. I think G is relieved that it's over. We did enjoy the trip home on the ship as it was just us travelling together & doing what we love doing.
I'm not sure that I am tolerant of G's family. W said last night that she knew she was damaged for a long time when her marriage broke up & was very snappy & touchy. It rocked her as she had no idea there was anything wrong with their relationship. We also talked about their sister's marriage, which was also a difficult one for many reasons.
I told W last night how angry I get when it is suggested that I don't know what G wants or thinks or does or doesn't like & that any of his family knows him better than me. I'm also not going to apologise to anyone for being happy.
I think she will be more aware of how I feel in the future & be a bit more inclusive at family get-togethers. I hope so. I don't hold much hope for being treated better by her sister but I am not going to tolerate being spoken to like she does to me for much longer.
It wasn't as cold this morning & Archie & I have had a lovely day at home together while G has played golf. I have stripped our bed, done washing & other housework & will take Arch for a walk when G rings to say he's on his way home & he will pick us up along the way. Archie is good now. He's happy when he's with me & I'm happy when I'm with him. I'm so glad I'm home again.

Oof. That's all I have to say. Oh, and I'm glad you and W had a good talk, cleared the air, and may be starting over better.

I'm glad you told W what you'd like her to do better. I really hope she listens. I'm glad the trip was not as stressful as it sounds and that you and G could have a peaceful trip home. Please give Archie a hug for me.

That was an interesting trip!

Yeah...seeing others put someone down constantly is so heartbreaking.

I hope the frozen pipes don't have any damage to them. Just went through that in January, myself.

Glad for you that the trip is over and that you are back home with Archie. I like that you enjoyed aspects of the trip and were able to roll quite well with the sudden changes in plans. It's nice that you and W were able to talk things out a little. I'm sure it makes it easier on G as well if he is big on just keeping the peace.
Archie & I have had a lovely day at home together while G has played golf. I have stripped our bed, done washing & other housework & will take Arch for a walk when G rings to say he's on his way home & he will pick us up along the way. Archie is good now. He's happy when he's with me & I'm happy when I'm with him. I'm so glad I'm home again.
Sounds perfect!

I'm glad you told W what you'd like her to do better. I really hope she listens. I'm glad the trip was not as stressful as it sounds and that you and G could have a peaceful trip home. Please give Archie a hug for me.
I think W will be more considerate & I also will be towards her too. She's not the biggest problem & I will deal with L the next time she is rude to me. I just gave Archie a little scratch under the chin & told him it was from you xo
That was an interesting trip!
It sure was.
Yeah...seeing others put someone down constantly is so heartbreaking.
It is. She's an intelligent & strong-minded woman & I wish she would stop letting it go.
I hope the frozen pipes don't have any damage to them. Just went through that in January, myself.
No damage thank goodness. The frost has been extreme. The oldies (80-90) are saying they remember frosts like this when they were young.
Glad for you that the trip is over and that you are back home with Archie. I like that you enjoyed aspects of the trip and were able to roll quite well with the sudden changes in plans. It's nice that you and W were able to talk things out a little. I'm sure it makes it easier on G as well if he is big on just keeping the peace.

Sounds perfect!
Me too, Liza. It's lovely being home again. I think we are so used to things changing that we seem to roll with it. It's not always the case of course & anything to do with our sons is harder to cope with. We can still see the funny side, although I would quite like that $1K back in my bank account.
I told G that I would be talking to his other sister, L next time she's so rude to me & he's good with that. He agrees that she bullies me. I have had enough of it.

I am going to log everything into MFP for one week at least to get my focus back to dropping some weight. I didn't have any wine yesterday & won't again today. I had 2 glasses of red wine on Wednesday & 3 of white on Thursday with the lunch(1) & back on the boat(2). My calories are set at 1370.
Did I say I love being home again? 🥳

I am going to log everything into MFP for one week at least to get my focus back to dropping some weight. I didn't have any wine yesterday & won't again today. I had 2 glasses of red wine on Wednesday & 3 of white on Thursday with the lunch(1) & back on the boat(2).
Good for you, I find that helps me. Are you giving up wine for a while?
My calories are set at 1370.
I will play Cate, is that enough for you?

Dropping a little weight always feels good.

Good for you, I find that helps me. Are you giving up wine for a while?
I haven't been drinking much alcohol, Rob (I don't anymore) but am going to have more days without any at all. My challenge is to not eat sugary things when I don't have any wine. I don't think diet soft drinks are any better for me than a glass of wine. The only difference I see is in the calories.
I will play Cate, is that enough for you?
Well played, Rob! I have no idea really. The MFP guide for me to lose half a kg a week is 1350 cals per day. If I can find a sweet spot where I regularly lose a little each week I will stick with that.
Dropping a little weight always feels good.
I am at least 10 kg overweight by anyone's standards, more from any charts you look at, but just losing a couple of kilos would make me feel much better. I am not going up another size in clothing!

That sounded like an interesting trip, Cate. I guess it makes you appreciate how good you have it with G and Archie but I think you knew that anyway.

Keep plugging away at the weight loss. You're in a happy time of life in general, so it's a good time to do it.

I'm so glad you'll stand up to L. I wonder if dealing with the catty golfing ladies was the practice you needed to put your foot down around L? Poor G having had to grow up with such bossy people. I need to lose at least 10 kg, too, so I'll think of you and be careful not to snack so I can keep you company in losing weight slowly. Glad you are home, and I know your little fuzzy guy is, too!

There's a difference between recommendations for men and women of the same age/weight class. Plus Cate doesn't go to the gym for three hours after pulling down trees all day. So... I personally am a lot less worried about these 1370 kcal than I am about 1400 for Rob. But it is still hard to get all your nutrition in when that's all you have to play with. Good thing G is a great cook!

Yay for loving being home. I can so imagine wanting that $1000 back in your acct for sure!
I love that there is a group of us trying for break days from whatever we choose--I'm sure it will help me resist the temptation...

Thanks, Em, Marsia, Llama, Liza & Vic :grouphug:
I am so grateful for the life I have. I often say to G that you have to go somewhere else & then come home to appreciate what you have fully. I don't take it for granted though.
I will speak up the next time L is so rude to me, Marsia but I'm not sure I have stood up to the women at golf. Rather, I think I have learned that I don't deserve to be mistreated & I will no longer tolerate it. My friend, T who says she truly does not care what anyone thinks about her has helped me not only to develop a thicker skin but also to be myself.
Llama- I really do have a very nutritious diet & the 1370 that MFP suggests to lose half a kilo a week is not difficult at all if I steer clear of a glass of wine. I don't sacrifice nutrition for that wine when I do have it. I go over the calories instead. I also take into account exercise calories but not all of them as they are not accurate. This last week I have exercised little. I won't weigh myself until later in the week after a game of golf.
Liza- I agree. I think having break days & feeling that we are in this together is encouraging, without being a big stick approach. Today I am tracking my calories, not having any wine & aiming for a slight deficit.
Edited at 9.52 am- Just found out that G's 100-year-old second cousin died overnight. That's a relief.

Last edited:
I love T's attitude, and it's wonderful to hear she is helping you with being more assertive around people who are weird to you. It's so good to have the focus on being true to yourself. I agree about your approach to calorie counting and like doing this in a measured way instead of a punishing one. Sad that G's second cousin missed his big birthday bash by a couple of days, but good he didn't suffer too long in the hospital. It's great you come home and appreciate how much you like it there. That's so satisfying!

Thanks, Marsia. I love T's attitude a lot & I love her. Being true to yourself is so important. I will go log my food for the day now to give myself an idea of how I'm going.
BF was 2 GF toast (1/2 a slice with some Vegemite, 1 with peanut butter & half with plum jam.
Lunch was rabbit curry with a few rice noodles & veggies (Brussel sprouts, beans, carrots & a little potato).
We then had 1/2 an apple, 1/2 an orange & one small chocolate each.
Dinner will be rabbit soup with lots of veggies in it & 2 prawn gyozas, followed by a small bowl of ice cream with a fresh fruit salad (made with strawberries, raspberries & blackberries, passionfruit & some canned mango that I add for flavour, sweetness & juice). I will have one honey & hot lemon drink tonight.
Total cals 1226. I will probably have some biscuits & cheese to bring that up a little.

G was going to go to the rubbish tip on Wednesday while I was playing golf but I suggested we do it today. We did ours, our elderly neighbour's recycling & the recycling from the golf club. We left Arch at home so we could do it quickly. It's always a good job to get done & it's meant to rain a lot this week. It's not as cold today.

I do know that you have a very nutritious diet. That's why I'm not worried about your calories. Seeing wine as an extra rather than replacing actual food calories with wine calories in order to fit it into your energy budget is definitely the healthy way to go when your calories are that low anyway.

Back