Couch to 5K Club

Hi Everyone! Thanks to the recent podcast that I downloaded (Thanks Tyly) and the interest from Tyly's efforts and others who have downloaded this podcast to try, I thought I'd create a new club for anyone interested in completing this Couch to 5K program.

I think we should try, but is NOT required, to find a 5K we'd like to compete in once the program is complete. This is a 9 week program and the podcast can be found using your iTunes.

More information can be found here but the podcast will tell you when to walk and run and provides some music to run too.

Here I'd like to use this club to challenge other members to finish this 9 week program and discuss our trials and successes.

Anyone interested??

Any level/week # invited to contribute.

Come on people let's get this club going...

Tasha :hurray:

Last edited:
I will be starting with Week 1.

Week 1:

Work this program 3 days this week with at least one day of rest between each run day.

Tasha's results:
2.3 miles Today I completed the first run for week one, and felt the desire to run more and walk less, but I didn't want to burn myself out on the first day. So I stuck with Robert Ullrey's podcast and ran when he said and walked too when he said. My brisk walk level was 4.0mph and my run was 6.5-6.8. The last run I was really close to 2 miles total, so I actually did run for 75 seconds instead of the required 60 seconds to get to 2 miles.

I'd actually been planning on doing this right around now, so... I'm in. :D

Mind if I ask how you're tracking mileage and such? I've been meaning to get a Garmin or something like that for a while, so I'm always wanting input. Oh, and way to start out strong. Cheers.

Last edited:
YAY Welcome aboard. Members Members. We love members!!! :waving:

I Know that a lot of the longer term clubs seem to fizzle out after a while, so let's keep this one going until the end and who knows, we may also start a 5K to 10K club. wooohoo!

About darn time...I have finally joined a club at the right time. Woo hoo!!! This has made my day!!!

By coincidence, I am starting the couch-5k plan today of all days. Just bought the shoes a few hours ago! Photocrazed, I read your post on daiseeangel diary and was happy to see you started a thread.

YAY Welcome aboard. Members Members. We love members!!! :waving:

I Know that a lot of the longer term clubs seem to fizzle out after a while, so let's keep this one going until the end and who knows, we may also start a 5K to 10K club. wooohoo!

I'mma get what I can and more, even if my blood my sweat and my tears don't mean nothin'. I'll be around for a while. I don't call myself Focus 'cause I've made a habit of flaking out on what I want. ;)

Answer my edit about tracking mileage aboooove. :)

Also hey hi hello lemon. Hahaha. Your name and journal title still crack me up.

[Focus];402915 said:
Mind if I ask how you're tracking mileage and such? I've been meaning to get a Garmin or something like that for a while, so I'm always wanting input. Oh, and way to start out strong. Cheers.
there are tons of websites that will do tracking for you but a funnish one is

where you can pick a specific route to go along.. and keep track of your mileage along the way.

allows you to see exactly how far you're runinng without a pedometer...

Here's a Canadian link for running events:

I think this page is quite old so don't trust the dates.

Cool Running Site is still probably the best for the canucks!

Last edited:
About darn time...I have finally joined a club at the right time. Woo hoo!!! This has made my day!!!

By coincidence, I am starting the couch-5k plan today of all days. Just bought the shoes a few hours ago! Photocrazed, I read your post on daiseeangel diary and was happy to see you started a thread.

Yay for more Members!! WOOOOT! Welcome aboard luscious! I'm so excited about this club and I hope my enthusiasm doesn't drive everyone else nutso.

I'm glad I downloaded the podcast and got everything together for the run yesterday. I'm so happy to have you aboard. BTW, we have very similar goals and are at about the same weight right now. Just thought I'd let ya know.

[Focus];402947 said:
I'mma get what I can and more, even if my blood my sweat and my tears don't mean nothin'. I'll be around for a while. I don't call myself Focus 'cause I've made a habit of flaking out on what I want. ;)

Answer my edit about tracking mileage aboooove. :)

Also hey hi hello lemon. Hahaha. Your name and journal title still crack me up.

LMBO. that's true, about your name. I guess I didn't think about it that way, but hopefully if there is a time when I can't be as focused that you'll be able to keep the club running- literally. =)

As far as mileage. Today, I ran on a treadmill and used that number but I may start running outside once it warms up on a local road that's just swamped with runners and bikers. SOmetimes, I will drive the route that I run/walk as well. Hope this helps!

BTW, keep giving out the word for the COuch to 5K. =)

Photo, nice to know we are in similar places!

I went for the first session and it wasn't all that bad at all! It's a great start! I am mucho excited about this club and program, too!!! I'm sick of moaning about how happy everyone else looks when they run and how I am too much of a wuss to start.

During my session I made it out to a park I'd never been to. Its right where the river meets the ocean. I can't believe that I'd never been there!!! Crocuses were blooming up through the tall grass... It felt like spring...can you believe it...SPRING! I've always lived in a land locked province, so I haven't gotten over living on the coast.

As far as mileage. Today, I ran on a treadmill and used that number but I may start running outside once it warms up on a local road that's just swamped with runners and bikers. SOmetimes, I will drive the route that I run/walk as well. Hope this helps!

Hmm, okay. I get this a lot. I guess for now I will simply go from known point A to known point B. Thanks. :)

BTW, keep giving out the word for the COuch to 5K. =)

I'll do what I can. For example:

Hey Wishes! Stop being a wuss. :D Come on you've got to be pretty adapted to that cycling by now let's make things interesting. ;)

Oh, and welcome Trevor. Woot. Runners of the world unite!

I bought a pair of Asics Cumulous 9's today, as per the recommendation of FF on the fitness forums. I guess I'll start tomorrow. Rawr. I'm not really supposed to do any intense cardio, but whatever. Rules are for babies.

Welcome Welcome Trevor and Wishes. Glad to see you both could make it and congrats on getting your daughter to do it with you wishes. YAY

Today is not a Couch to 5K day for me, but it is a regular cardio day, so I'll be doing treadmill depending on the weather for 60 minutes and won't worry about following the program. That for me is going to be MWF this week and maybe STuTh next week as long as it's also a 3 day week.

This is going to be tricky incorporating the Couch to 5k into my existing schedule because I do upper body one day, lower body next and then cardio.. So I'm thinking on days that it's couch to 5k and Cardio on the same day that I may have to do only the additional 30 minutes or so to finish up my 60. What do you all think?

I hope everyone found the time to do Week 1 day 1. Any thoughts or suggestions or complications so far?

I bought a pair of Asics Cumulous 9's today, as per the recommendation of FF on the fitness forums
That's the wrong reason to buy a pair of shoes... Everyone's foot is different and how they walk/run is slightly different -what might be the perfect shoe for one person - might be all wrong for another.

You should always go to a running store and get properly fitted for a pair of shoes -most better running stores have employees trained to check the wear pattern on your current shoes - watch how you walk/run - and are able to suggest the best possible shoe for your foot.. .

That's the wrong reason to buy a pair of shoes... Everyone's foot is different and how they walk/run is slightly different -what might be the perfect shoe for one person - might be all wrong for another.

You should always go to a running store and get properly fitted for a pair of shoes -most better running stores have employees trained to check the wear pattern on your current shoes - watch how you walk/run - and are able to suggest the best possible shoe for your foot.. .

I agree and great suggestion. I will need a new running shoe in the coming months and hope to get a shoe that takes into consideration my degrees of pronation. Although I'm sure i'll have to put down some green for one it should be worth it if it'll last a while. (Better start saving now).

You honestly don't pay all that much more for shoes at a running store than you would at a box store - definitely more than you'd spend at payless but you get what you pay for... and a good running store has a return policy - that if it is indeed the wrong shoe - you can exchange them for a different pair.

Awesome! I'll have to check more into this. I did go to a specialized store once and was fitted, but I don't remember much about what the lady said etc. Perhaps I'll get the chance this weekend when I'm out of town.

Back