Sport Snickers Marathon protein bars, ok to have or bad for you?

Sport Fitness
Like almost everyone these days, I'm on a very strict budget when it comes to grocery shopping. However, in order to start getting into better shape I made it a goal to go out and buy whey protein powder as well as protein bars. I purchased the Snickers Chocolate & Peanuts protein bars; they came in a box of 6 for $4.98. The ones they had ranged from 13g of protein all the way up to 21g, with the 21g being $2 more. Are these bars good for you to eat, or are they just as bad as eating a regular snickers? I've started the whole "6 small meals a day" thing and have been having a Snickers protein bar as my mid-morning snack. Thanks for any advice. I'd be willing to try another bars, as long as they aren't top dollar.

most protein powder has 24g of protein per serving, almost no fat and almost no carbs.

How many grams of sugar does that snickers thing have? I"m gonna wager the fat and sugar content coupled with the poor protein content makes it not so great.

you'd be better off with a packet of instant oatmeal (plain) and a protein shake. some people put a scoop of protein in their oatmeal (i don't care for that).

tight budget plus store bought protein bars do NOT go together

a natural peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread will bring you over 20 grams of protein (but this will be around 450 calories so make sure its within the calorie goals)
I approximate that would be < 50 cents each
you can also make your own energy bars

i used the snickers one alot, it makes your mouth juice alot! BUT as far as energy/protein/food bars it is not vey high quality- has alot fructose sugar in it, or whatever the bad kind is,.

but it is yumi.

a cliff bar can be hard to choke down sometimes

Sweat Daily
FF

if youre on a strict budget then that bar wont fit you. Buying oatmeal or healthy creals is a better option, besides, sugar is high and mighty on these bars.

What are the ingredients in the bar? My guess is that it's no more than a chocolate bar with Whey Protein added... if this is the case, I would say not to do it. Stick to more natural sources of foods.. it takes time to get used to, but it is very well worth it!

xo

What are the ingredients in the bar? My guess is that it's no more than a chocolate bar with Whey Protein added... if this is the case, I would say not to do it. Stick to more natural sources of foods.. it takes time to get used to, but it is very well worth it!

xo

you knwo, now that i see this thread again, it is true these bars are crap.

I was eating them on 100 mile nike rides, and long runs because they are very high in calorie, and carbs, and they do not melt so bad in the sun.

as an endurance athlete you eat alot of crap after the 4-5 and 6th hour,, sorta hard to carry a couple thousand calories any other way.

If this dude is just anywhere, like work or home, he should just skip, and go for whole wheat pita, and peanut butter.

AND I quoted you Lyz, cuz its nice to see you post soemthing other than videos of yourself. Not that we mind those ;)

FF

Back