Exercises for Badminton

Anyone got any info on badminton programmes.

E.g specific exercise to improve agility, reactions etc.

Just thought i'd try as i've started again and looking for some help and see what you guys are made off. Many of you seem to know your stuff on all areas. Really good and abit envious/

Also anyone know best racquets or other equipment needed!!!

arm exercises, spec. the forearm.

Forearm? Really?

Work on agility through change of direction drills (cones, ladder, start/stop). Basically you want to try movements that mimic your badminton movements.

You can do badminton specific training, use your imagination and an area as big as the badminton court. Here is a site that is going to help you a lot. Let me know if it's usefull or not. Take care mate :D

I have a Corey Everson tape that I love to death, Get Hard Arms and shoulders workout.

In it, she gives an optional section called the forearm workout, and says that it's good for building a strong grip, if you're into badmittion, like she was. (I know that part of the tape by heart !!!)

maybe your library has it. it's old.

I have a Corey Everson tape that I love to death, Get Hard Arms and shoulders workout.

In it, she gives an optional section called the forearm workout, and says that it's good for building a strong grip, if you're into badmittion, like she was. (I know that part of the tape by heart !!!)

maybe your library has it. it's old.

That's fine and all if a persons grip is weak and has trouble holding onto the racket.

Do people really train for badminton? I guess I just see it as a game people play at cookouts, picnics etc. I never met anyone who was serious about it

There are a few simple things you can do for badminton training that you might find useful;

12 cones in a circle to represent numbers on a clock face. Call out three numbers and the player runs to those cones always facing forwards (so 12, 6, 3) would be forwards, backwards, right (for the player). Then reverse it, then make the player call the numbers...works not only the agility side of playing, but also on 'dexterity of the mind' (I wrote that as I can't think of a clever name for it)...

For the next one you'll need shuttles, lots of them, 2 colouring in pens and a player...Colour some of the shuttle ends one colour, some another and some with no colour (make the colours easy to see like black and red). Stand a few feet away from the player and throw the shuttles. Any shuttle thrown to the player that is black they need to use a forehand swing (without racket), any red is a back hand and anything not coloured they leave.

Stand on the other line with player on the inside of the tramline (can be done anywhere), bounce a tennis ball left of right. the player needs to recover the tennis ball (by catching and sympathetically throwing it back to you) before the ball bounces for a second time. They can only use the lunge technique to do it. So they will be lunging left and right to recover the balls.

8 cones (or markers of any description). Set up two cones to your left and two to your right. Place one of the cones about 1 foot in front of you and the other 1 foot behind you and set the same up for the player who will be standing in front of you. They have to mirror your movement. So if you go left, they go left, if you touch the rear cone they touch the rear cone. When they get good at this opposite it. So if you go right, they go left.

4 pretty simple exercises that don't involve getting a court or going to a gym, but use the movements and decision making of badminton.

Basically anything that makes your player go the wrong way and have to correct themselves us good, anything that involves them having to use their brain and anything that is sympathetic to the movement involved in the sport (lunges for example).

I'll not take credit for the activities though. Credit goes to Andy Allford - GB olympic badminton coach (and a pain in a arse to follow on the last cone exercise)...

*Edit* - With regards to being sympathetic to the movements an example would be - Why not try lunging for a shuttle while someone has a resistance band wrapped round your waist...

Last edited:
Back