Exercise bands that snap?

Themimimalist

I have a question about exercise bands. I've been training a female client and I now have her doing cable work for adductors and abductor work as she snapped the medium and hard exercise bands she was working with. Is this an issue with quality or is it possible she is too strong to use bands for certain movements? has anyone else experienced this?

1685926504780.png

Usually a snap is due to an incorrect band selection for the exercise or poor maintenance of band, all bands should be checked for crack and weak areas on a regular basis, they do wear out.

The heaviest band I have in regular use is rated at 54 kg+ so no, it is unlikely your client is too strong for bands.

Pulling on a band straight-on shouldn't make it snap even when a lot of force is applied. But if there's already a small tear or the band touches a sharpish edge while under tension it can snap even with very little force. Tears and weak spots can be caused by sun/light exposure (direct sunlight will ruin an exercise band quite quickly: storing them in a dark place extends their life span by quite a bit) or putting a band away "stuck together" after someone with sweaty hands has worked with them. Of course bands do sometimes get sold with weak spots: I came across one with a large burn in the middle of it. You should be able to see any irregularities when you stretch it out a bit though.

Back