Buying Dumbells

Hellooo. Ive decided to buy some dumbells as im at a new college and I will be getting a membership with the gym but I only have2 hours wednesday afternoon and one hour on tuesday and one hour thursday :S Friday is my day off from college and I have no free's on monday. I finish college at 5 to. Im looking atgetting some dumbells just so I can work out at weekends at home. What place would you recomend buying them from? Ide like to buy some dumbells that go upto 25kg maybe 30kg. I can curl 20kg at the moment.

Thanks/

Walmart. The cost of dumbbells have gone up quite a bit. You can't go too wrong with solid steel no matter where you get it from. But I'd compare pricing with a local sports store, see if they will cut you a deal. I could tell you some places in the US, but I bet that's not where you're from. Just be prepared to spend a little money.

Fixed DB's, if your wanting Fixed ones are expensive. Iv had a look around for 30kg n 40kg ones and your looking at £150 plus, so in $ thats gonna be well over $200.

Looks like ima buy a gym membership for the gym up my road instead of going college one. Ile go Friday (me day off) Saturday and monday or tuesday/ wednesday as ile get home for 4 then but 6 on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday. So ile go 4x a week. The reason for not going college gym is they tell you how to do things etc and I dont have many free's anyway.

Personally, I dont like the fixed type (they will do the job of course), just a personal preference. I like the freedom and flexability that "regular" or atypical DB's give. If space "isnt" a problem you could get one of these, and just purchase the additional weight as you need it:

SSPX0521-2-1.jpg

The pic above are my own, and what I use (I have 3 sets of two or 6 total). These are very inexpensive, and are great. The only problem is the damn long collar stems. They can get in the way (and sometimes be irretating).

Or if space is a problem, then do a search online, and locate a "fixed" type that will work within the goal you are after and use them-at least temporarily. If you go the fixed type, you have the problem of progression. You have to buy another dumbell in order to increase weight. But in a "good gym" this isnt a problem as a there are a variety fixed DB's at various weight on the rack.

If you buy the "selectable" type, it eliminates this problem, but they are expensive, and one really needs a set of two (optimally), but one can get the job done dependent on circumstances, with just one.

Example pricing:

Dumbbells

Best regards,

Chillen

Last edited:
Thanksbud. Its only £15 a month for the gym near me. Im going to get a membership there and go Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning and saturday morning :)

Thanksbud. Its only £15 a month for the gym near me. Im going to get a membership there and go Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning and saturday morning :)

Too cool, and now you will personally rule! :)

What approach on training have you decided on?

And, of course, what have you decided to do with the all-powerful, all-deciding, and all-knowing, diet?

Wish you much success!

Best regards,

Chillen

I aint got a diet reallybut with having diabeties I am eating alot healthier etc. Such as propper meals with veg etc but I aint having no protein shakes at moment :S

Im 16.9 stone and im just lifting heavy weights but only lifting about 8/15 times in each set.

I aint got a diet reallybut with having diabeties I am eating alot healthier etc. Such as propper meals with veg etc but I aint having no protein shakes at moment :S

Im 16.9 stone and im just lifting heavy weights but only lifting about 8/15 times in each set.

I think its time to change that, brotha.....do ya think? :)

Get the diet in "educated" control.

Most importantly be "consistent" in its application, and you win.

Study persons who are successful and ones that are not; two common denominator stand out: Consistency and inconsistency.

Consistency breathes life into a goal.

Inconsistency tears the heart and soul out of a goal. And, do not forget it.

The body doesn't know whether your lifting bricks or rocks for petes sakes.

Pick a pair of dumbbells you are personally comfortable with and can afford, and rock da' heck out.....

I remember when I first started a couple of years back, I was using plastic milk jugs as dumbbells doing things like: Hammer Curls, one handed standing French Tri Press, and with two, I would do the Military Press, Walking Lunges, and various other exercises, until I graduated in buying what I felt I needed.

Using one's wonderful imagination and creativity is a powerful tool to use.

Personally, I like the ones I purchased (and got as gifts), because it "spins" off additional exercises and can prevent additional purchases. For example: If I want to do the "Roll-Out" for the core, all I have to do is slap a pair of 5 pound iron plates on the DB Bar, and ROCK OUT! (with the collars off, of course). No need to buy a stupid ab-wheel, as the flexibility of these seals the deal.

FTW: The ones you like and can afford.

The ultimate personal champion: Consistency in application.

Good luck!

Best wishes

Chillen

Last edited:
I hate adjustable DB's for some reason. Used to have them at home.

I love the fixed weights at the gym, the ones that im used to. Suppose thats why i like them best :D

Personally, I dont like the fixed type (they will do the job of course), just a personal preference. I like the freedom and flexability that "regular" or atypical DB's give. If space "isnt" a problem you could get one of these, and just purchase the additional weight as you need it:

...The only problem is the damn long collar stems. They can get in the way (and sometimes be irretating).

Agreed and that's why I like standard (1") dumbbell handles with screw-on collars

Currently, I am doing this for shoulders:

Rear flyes
Side Laterals
DB Military Press (alternating in workout frequency)
Military Press
And, twice per week: Isometric Holds, and shoulder girdle strengthening exercises.

The reason I mention this is because I Super-set (SS) the Military Press with DB Military Press (at times, to recruit stability muscles that the MP doesn't).

And, I have created bruises on my shoulders from the collars rotating as I bring down the DB's when doing the DB Military Press.

.....................> "Battle wounds: BRING IT!" :)

I got so frustrated a few months back, I was bound and determined to remedy this problem.

The rotation of the collar was caused by the rolling end pieces of the Olympic type DB. I took two of the DB's and welded the ends, and that stop that crap. Now, I just adjust them before I begin the exercise, and I don't have that problem any more.

How many "adjustable" DB's are there that are 60 pounds plus? That will not set you back $200.00 or more? If I buy a GG cast iron plate (say I needed it for more weight on squat, deads, or bench), I can use it with any of my DB's, and I like that. The iron plates are generally cheap.

If I don't SS my MP, and just do DB Military Press, I begin with 60's as a warm up. Additionally, when doing DB Lunges, the weight in each hand can get high, and sometimes beyond the traditional adjustable type DB's can bring to the table.

Best wishes,

Chillen

Last edited:

Exactly.

They are dirt cheap. And, so are the plates.

My Olympic style DB's (like in the ones I shown in this thread), do come off at the end (they actually slide off, after removing the end screw by using a hex tool), and will accept the hole plate size that the DB's in your Pic accept.

In other words in can convert one way or the other. However, it would require some new plates. I didn't notice they even converted until several months into my training, and by then it was far too late to convert (cost effective reasons) as I had well over 450 pounds of OLY plates. The collar stems are not problem now as they once were, anyway. But it is something to consider when purchasing DB's.

Best wishes

Chillen

Last edited:
Nahhh your all wrong, FIXED DB'S are the way forward.

Back